Hidden Gems: Novelty Book Stores in Salt Lake City

Nestled within the vibrant literary landscape of Salt Lake, a collection of distinctive novelty bookstores offers unique experiences for book enthusiasts.
Jordan Thornblad
Weller Book Works (Photo by Jordan Thornblad | The Daily Utah Chronicle)

Nestled within the vibrant literary landscape of Salt Lake, a collection of distinctive novelty bookstores offers unique experiences for book enthusiasts. From the hidden treasures of Weller Book Works to the personalized charm of The King’s English Bookshop, these stores provide more than just books. They create immersive worlds and communities of like-minded readers. Whether you’re a hopeless romantic exploring Lovebound Library’s exclusive romance novels or an eco-conscious reader trading stories at Central Book Exchange, each store has carved out its niche, inviting patrons to discover the joy and magic that only a beloved local bookstore can offer.

Weller Book Works

Weller Book Works might be deemed the Narnia of the book scene as it is an arena of hidden nooks and crannies. The idea was formed in 1929 by Gus Weller and the stores came to fruition by different names. Now, the business has found its forever home in Trolley Square and serves as one of the largest accumulation of unique and rare books in the Salt Lake area. 

The main store features an array of books of all kinds arranged on floor-to-ceiling shelves that transport anyone who walks into another world. You could spend an entire day just scanning the hundreds of titles that fill its shelves. If the main store doesn’t get your blood pumping, there is a hidden room in the second floor of the store that houses a variety of rare books considered to be a collector’s dream. 

The store is known for their “Breakfast Club” that takes place each Tuesday morning at the coffee shop Moka Meets Boba. The club is a forum where book lovers can come together to share their passion for literary discussion and connect with people who share their love of reading. 

The King’s English Bookshop

The King’s English Bookshop is a locally owned bookstore that has earned a reputation for its personalized service. Unlike larger, corporate-owned stores, it offers a welcoming and personable atmosphere. This makes patrons feel like part of a community rather than just customers. The store has an extensive selection of books, catering to all ages and interests. From children’s books to religious texts to fiction and nonfiction, King’s English ensures that every reader can find something that piques their interest.

One of the highlights of King’s English is its regular events, such as book talks with authors. These events provide a unique opportunity for readers to connect with writers and gain insights into their work. The most recent event they hosted is the Local Showcase, a mini festival around the bookshop. The event featured a variety of indie artists and makers, along with fun activities.

The cozy environment at King’s English makes it a perfect place to browse and relax. The ambiance is warm and inviting, encouraging visitors to take their time exploring the shelves. Moreover, the friendly and knowledgeable staff are always ready to offer recommendations and assist with any queries, enhancing the overall shopping experience.

Lovebound Library

If you’re in the mood for summer romance, but there are no prospects on the horizon, Lovebound Library has the perfect fictional couple for you to follow. The store is a new addition to the Utah reader scene as it opened a mere four months ago on February 3. It is an independent bookstore that is entirely owned and operated by women and aims to create a diverse and accepting environment for book lovers.

Lovebound is a novelty store that exclusively sells romance novels for the hopeless romantics of Utah. It primarily draws attention to the light and fluffy exclusives from the romance genre including novels from Emily Henry and Abby Jimenez, but also highlights the occasional dark romance.

The next event at Lovebound is not for the faint of heart. Their June Book Club will feature a dark romance novel entitled “God of Malice” by Rina Kent. This is the store’s attempt to branch out to another subsection of readers that grow bored of the repetitive nature of mainstream romance novels.

The unique aspect of Lovebound is that it is one of the first bookstores in Utah that highlights a specific genre of book. This differentiates it from a corporate company like Barnes and Noble because it targets a much more specific kind of reader.

Central Book Exchange

Central Book Exchange sells pre-owned books still in good condition. They play a vital role in reducing waste and promoting sustainability. It’s an eco-friendly choice that resonates with environmentally-conscious readers. 

One of the standout features of Central Book Exchange is its affordability. Used books are typically priced lower than new ones, making it a budget-friendly option for avid readers. The reasonable prices ensure that literature is accessible to a wider audience. Additionally, Central Book Exchange operates an “exchange” system where customers can bring in their old books and receive credit to purchase new ones. This system encourages recycling while allowing readers to continually refresh their personal libraries without spending too much money.

Like King’s English, Central Book Exchange has a wide range of books, from textbooks to works in different languages. It is also locally owned and has a unique charm and character. The workers are not just employees but passionate book lovers who can help and guide any lost readers. Their helpfulness and enthusiasm make every visit to the store a pleasant experience. 

@thornrosejayy

@israbii

Jordan Thornblad
Jordan Thornblad, Arts Writer
(she/her) Jordan Nicole Thornblad is a junior at the University of Utah and is majoring in communications with an emphasis in journalism. She enjoys reading anything and everything that she can get her hands on from classic literature to the most recently viral young adult novels. She spends her free time watching Criminal Minds, wandering the aisles of thrift stores and vintage markets and reminiscing on her years as a competitive figure skater by spending nights at local ice rinks. She finds joy in building outfits and expressing herself through personal style which is why she hopes to take her love of writing and the experience she gains while working on the Chrony and turn them into a career in fashion journalism.
Isra Habib
Isra Habib, Arts Writer
Isra Habib is a second year student at the University of Utah, majoring in film and media arts with a minor in English. She joined the Chronicle because she enjoys discussing different media topics and wants to improve her writing. When not stressing over deadlines, Isra can usually be found rewatching her favorite movies, spending time with family and friends or traveling.

• M

MJun 27, 2024 at 11:04 pm

An article on unique novelty bookstores, and the two most novel and unique aren’t even on this list:
    1. Legendarium – focusing on fantasy, sci-fi, and even role play gaming books and intricately decorated and cozy inside
    2. Under the Umbrella – focusing on LGBT+ books and writers and also has a little cafe

To omit either of these (especially on pride month as they are both owned and run by LGBT+ folks) is a huge disappointment. Large oversight on the writers’ parts.

• C

CJun 28, 2024 at 11:28 am

Especially mentioning that Lovebound was “one of the first” genre-specific bookstores when Legendarium and Under the Umbrella both were here first…