‘Everybody Street’ depicts New York City life

The Utah Film Center will host a screening of “Everybody Street” at the UMFA on March 26. PHOTO COURTESY OF MINDY WILSON
U students can explore the vast metropolis of New York City through the lens of photographers in the film “Everybody Street.”
The Utah Museum of Fine Arts is hosting a spring film series called “Creativity in Focus”. The documentary and tribute to New York City, “Everybody Street,” is their third film.
“Each film in the series highlights, in some way, the creative process, exploring the pressures, concerns and influences that shape artists’ work,” said Mindy Wilson, UMFA director of marketing and public relations. “As the university’s fine arts museum, we present exhibitions and programs that engage students, faculty and staff in conversations about the role of art in our lives.”
“Everybody Street” gives a gritty and raw look at New York City through the lens of its own photographers. Director Cheryl Dunn created a unique and artistic way for all individuals to experience the concrete jungle and obtain the same perspective as street photographers. By viewing the environment through the very lenses that capture this iconic city, the public gets an exclusively distinctive view of this bustling area.
“The film explores a myriad of perspectives on human life — through the eyes and lenses of a diverse suite of photographers and through glimpses of the people they choose as their subjects,” said Kerry O’Grady, UMFA director of education and engagement.
Despite New York City being the focal point of the film, “Everybody Street” is completely relatable to citizens in Salt Lake City.
“Salt Lake City — especially downtown — seems, more and more, to be attracting and inspiring creative people and projects, as New York City has long done. We’ve got our own brand of street photography that’s capturing the really unique essence of this city,” Wilson said.
Wilson also said U students can learn from the documentary.
“U students who come see ‘Everybody Street’ may find those kinds of connections especially interesting, and, we hope, be inspired to look at Salt Lake and its people through a new lens,” she said.
With the ever-evolving and motivational ambiance that encompasses Salt Lake City, street photography and other art forms are taking off. “Everybody Street” is not far off the mark in regards to present artistic happenings in Salt Lake City.
The film is applicable to the bustling environment of any metropolitan area, Salt Lake City included. It is an honest depiction of inner-city daily life.
“From gritty realities to the sublime beauty … of the everyday, the many moods, perspectives and values presented in this film portray the multifaceted world we all experience,” O’Grady said.
“Everybody Street” will be screened Wednesday, March 26 at 7 p.m. This special screening is available to the public and free to U students.