Police Report: Driver Harasses Parking Lot Attendant

By Beth McPhee

A driver tried to follow another vehicle out of the pay lot. In his attempt, the exit gate came down on his vehicle. The frightened lot attendant said the man got out of his vehicle and pounded on the booth window. Identifying him with his vehicle registration, the police searched the ballet building for him, but they didn’t find him. The case was turned over to a private investigator.

Suspicious circumstance?Officials suspected some people attending a Polynesian dance at the Union wanted to shoot someone. All available U police officers responded, but Salt Lake City police arrested them. Officers found no weapons and the matter ended peacefully.

Bike theft?Someone stole a bicycle from the west side of Marriott Library. The bike’s owner parked it in a bike rack, but had not locked it up.

Fire?A fire broke out in the basement kitchen of the Union. The fire department responded, quickly putting it out. The fire caused no damage, but officials ventilated the building to get rid of the smoke. Officials suspect the oven stove pilot light ignited paper set on the stove.

Theft?While detectives were conducting an interview at University Hospital, someone stole the tape recorder they were using.

Lewdness?A man sat next to a woman in the computer lab and started to masturbate. The woman left and reported him to the police. Police identified the man but have not contacted him.

Theft?Someone stole a pair of Nordica Boots from a University Village resident. The resident had left his boots outside his front door.

Theft?Someone stole a $3,000 scale from Myriad Genetics in Research Park.

Police tip of the week?Lock your bicycles to a bicycle rack. If possible, don’t use a cable lock, these can be easily cut. Try a “U-lock” or several cable locks to make it harder for thieves to steal your bicycle.This police report covers events from Jan. 21 to Jan. 27.