Olympic Vistors Get in trouble On U Campus

By Beth McPhee

Canadian brawl?An intoxicated man created a disturbance at a Canadian Olympic team party held at the Union. Party-goers complained the man sprayed beer and bothered people. An Olympic bobsledder punched the drunken man in the mouth, knocking him to the floor. A member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police attending the party helped U Police resolve the incident. The man was released to friends without any citations.

Missing Dutchman?A 60-year old visitor from Holland was reported missing. A search discovered that he returned to Holland without telling anyone.

Intoxicated Norwegian?A very intoxicated man identifying himself as a Norwegian athlete tried to get into the Olympic Village without credentials. After questioning, the man revealed he was actually a Norwegian real estate agent in town to watch the Olympics. The man thought it would be fun to see the athletes up close. Police took the man to a friend’s house to sleep off the alcohol’s effects without a citation.

Theft?Three fireworks mortars for the Olympics’ Closing Ceremony were stolen a few hours before the program began.

Domestic disturbance?A husband and wife argued in the Medical Towers. The wife locked the husband out of the apartment and took an overdose of prescription medication in an apparent suicide attempt. Authorities took the woman to the hospital. They treated and released her. The police were called back to the apartment the same night for another disturbance. Police suggested the husband stay somewhere else for the night until the situation cooled down.

Unlawful dozing?A man was found sleeping in the College of Law building. Police discovered the man had an outstanding warrant. They searched the man and found a brown, powdered substance believed to be heroin. Police booked him into jail.

Unfair exchange rate?A British Olympic athlete reported someone stole a $100 bill from his room and replaced it with a $1 bill.

Lonely computer stolen?Someone stole an infrequently used computer in the Union. The date of the theft is unknown because of the computer’s infrequent use.

Hacking?One or more former employees of a U department is suspected of hacking into a department computer system. They obtained passwords and disrupted Web page operation.

Fashion police?A member of the Brazilian Olympic team reported someone stole some of her clothing from her room in the Olympic Village. She called back two days later to report that the clothing had been found in another athletes suitcase.

Identity theft?A woman reported someone rang up several thousand dollars worth of charges on two cell phone accounts that she never authorized. Someone stole her purse in December, but she didn’t report it because she didn’t think the purse contained anything of value. She believes the thief used information from credit card receipts to obtain the cell phone accounts.

Scalping?An employee of a Research Park company is suspected of stealing discounted tickets to various events in the Salt Lake Valley and reselling them for her own gain.

Police tip of the week?When buying over-the-counter medications, always check the packages for tampering.

This police report covers criminal activity from Jan. 28 to Feb. 25.