UTA Removes Trees to Make Room for TRAX

By Chi-Chi Zhang

Today there are 140 stumps across campus where, only two weeks ago, large trees stood.

Crews have been removing the trees along South Campus Drive, Wasatch Drive and Medical Drive to make elbow room for construction of the TRAX extension that will run from the stadium to the U Hospital.

Officials from the Utah Transit Authority and the construction company consulted with U arborist Ann Williams for expert advice before removing the greenery.

“We did a lot of analysis to reduce the number of trees that had to be taken out,” said Tom Christensen, U project manager. “It was hard for all of us to see the trees go, but it was obvious there was no way around it.”

Many of the trees were carefully considered before they were removed, Christensen said.

“We walked around the entire construction site with the contractors and talked through with them why we wanted some of the trees to stay, but they also had pretty strong reasons why the trees need to be removed,” Williams said. “Many times even if trees are not meant to be cut down, they can be destroyed accidentally or impacted so much by heavy machinery that they will not survive.”

To compensate for removing the trees, the Utah Transit Authority will provide 170 2.5-inch trees that will be planted in their places to help preserve the environment.

Some of the same species as well as new species will be planted along the future TRAX route.

Williams agrees that although it was difficult to see so many trees go, she is still happy with the outcome, “I am glad that UTA consulted with us on this project, and it was good to know that they will replace some of the damage by replanting more trees.”

According to Christensen, there are five segments of construction for the TRAX project. Contractors completed the tree-removal process late last week in the first and fifth segments along with most of the third segment.

The first segment includes the area next to Rice-Eccles Stadium, the third segment stretches from Guardsman Way out to Wasatch Drive and the fifth segment encompasses the golf course.

“Segments two, four and part of three probably will not begin tree removal until the spring. Segment two cannot begin without the completion of segment one, which includes laying the actual track down,” Christensen said.

Upon completion of the new TRAX extension, thousands could take advantage of the new service.

“The [health sciences area] has 350,000 outpatient visits in a year alone, we are estimating the number of TRAX uses will increase by 3,400 people a day after the new medical center line is finished,” said Kris McBride, a media spokeswoman for UTA said.

Along with the removal of trees, workers are removing pavement to make room for the new TRAX line, with the temporary closure of South Campus Drive by Rice-Eccles Stadium.

The new route will travel from the Rice-Eccles TRAX station to the U medical center, servicing facilities such as Primary Children’s Hospital, the Huntsman Cancer Institute, U Hospital, the Moran Eye Center, the School of Medicine and other buildings in the area.

Contractors have until December 2004 to complete the project.