Letter to the Editor: Recycling-It’s Not About Cost

By Dana Robison

I was thrilled to read the Oct. 1 article about ASUU’s efforts to integrate the U campus in a cooperative recycling system, “Students Fight to Improve Recycling.” Most of my efforts to incorporate recycling into everyday routine as a student and an employee of the U have been met with lukewarm enthusiasm at best and downright opposition at worst. A couple of my experiences illustrate this attitude.

When I began working at the U, I was surprised to find that there was no receptacle for office paper anywhere in my building. I began distributing boxes throughout the office to collect discarded office paper. I ended up having to haul about 300 pounds of recyclable paper single-handedly on a dolly across campus to the Bennion Center, because that was the only receptacle I could find. This continued for eight months until a BFI receptacle magically appeared in my building.

Recently, I received an advertisement from central mailing on campus offering a new paper-shredding service to university departments. I called central mailing to verify that they would be recycling the shredded paper. Shockingly, I discovered that they were not planning to recycle any of the shredded paper, stating too much extra expense as their reason. A call to BFI revealed that due to its contract with the university, the company is more than willing to give central mailing as many bins as they require, and will collect the shredded paper as often as is needed, at no charge. BFI was unaware of central mailing’s need for recycling, and central mailing was completely ignorant of the services available to them.

I am certain there are more students, staff and faculty who feel this is an important issue. But until we receive the support of the administration, we will remain far spread individuals with no real way to improve the situation.

Dana Robison

Junior, Mechanical Engineering