Asads rant: How did I get here in the first place?

Sports Editor.

That’s what they apparently call me nowadays at The Chrony, but I really feel like I am stealing from the newspaper. Uh, I hope nobody read that.

Just kidding-I think.

I can’t believe they pay me to do this.

I only have one year left at The Chrony before I hopefully enter law school in fall 2005.

I just completed my third year at The Chrony and it seems like I have ridden about 7,000 roller coasters and I feel like crying-daily.

From people wailing regularly, about 80 people in the sports office at one time (usually my friends), yelling, wrestling and an occasional article or two being written by the sports staff, it can somewhat get to your head.

But for now, I am taking a break before I get back to the madness when some of us return for the summer.

This time I get to decide what happens.

Isn’t that a little scary?

So what’s the plan for next year, and what did I learn from this past year that will help this entire staff to move forward and help serve you?

For those of you who are graduating this year, I am sorry you don’t get to read my articles for another year.

I know it was truly a pleasure for all of you to read my articles and all the thanks really touch me. I try to do my best, not to mention the copy editors, who clean up all my incoherent thoughts, which usually comprise about 95 percent of the articles.

Just try to cherish those articles in your memory as you move forward in your life.

For those of you who are coming back, prepare to see about 10 total stories throughout the year on the sports that nobody really cares about.

And for those of you who participate on those teams, don’t worry, you will still be mentioned in the paper in brief format.

You may even get a story in when conference championships come around.

But after three years of seeing an average of 10 reads per men’s tennis article, I think that’s all I can take.

It’s not that the smaller sports don’t deserve the respect, but when nobody reads the stories, it kind of gets pointless.

Regardless, that’s only a minute change that will be implemented into the sports section. There will be others.

We will see how many of the ideas that are implemented will be successful, but I do know one thing.

Nobody on this staff is going to take any s*** from the athletes out there.

For three years, I always felt like a little piece of turd compared to the writers of The Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret Morning News, and subsequently acted that way in mass interviews.

That’s not going to happen.

We are the best and we can give you the best information.

Now we are going to go in with our chests pumped out and telling those bastards who’s boss.

I just hope everyone on this campus knows how great we truly are. It’s time to represent that, since after all, we are the best section in the newspaper.

Who cares about the gun debate when we can talk about how much Matt hates the Yankees, or how much Asad loves himself. Right?

It’s that false sense of security that makes us think we are the best, which will in turn make us the best and in the end better inform you students.

I told you this paper is going to get better for next year, and they gave me the keys.

Scary?