Meat, phone calls, and graffiti

Meat scare

A Google search revealed that a delivery of meat for Chartwell’s might have been contaminated with E coli. The delivery man said he had brought the wrong order, and then sold the meat to a U employee at cost for $146. Police investigated and found the meat to be uncontaminated.

Stop calling me!

Police currently have no idea who has been making unwanted phone calls since the summer of 2001 to a woman living on campus. Despite having her number changed twice, the woman has received about six calls. The caller says things like, “I’m depressed. I need somebody to talk to,” according to Detective Mike McPharlin.

A bad time to get pulled over

An officer stopped a car that had only one functioning headlight and found that the driver had an outstanding warrant for his arrest for shoplifting.The driver was taken to jail on the warrant.

Another reason?

An angry suicide patient at the hospital used a medical device to damage some wall sockets.

According to police reports, she was “trying to start a fire or commit suicide” with the action.

The attempt failed and the patient will repay the damages caused to the sockets.

A class B misdemeanor for parts and labor

An officer saw two young men in an area near a bike with a missing seat and wheels, one with a bike wheel in his hand. After a “short game of cat and mouse,” police met with the young men and their parents at the police station, where the young men confessed.

Caught black-handed

Police responded to a report that a man was writing graffiti at three separate locations near the Stadium TRAX station.

The man was located near the 7-Eleven on 1300 East with black paint on his hands and face and eventually booked into jail for the offense.

Could I borrow your permit?

A car with its window down parked near Rice-Eccles Stadium had its parking pass stolen. Parking enforcement keeps a record of which passes belong to which cars, and will cite any car with a pass that doesn’t match up to the license plate. The maximum penalty for the crime is six months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

I really don’t want a ticket

A parking enforcement officer was grabbed away from a car on which he had placed a warning citation.

The apparent owner of the car was upset and demanded that the citation be taken back.

When the officer refused, the car owner took a stance and made some moves that caused the officer to believe he was about to be assaulted.

The officer called for assistance and then left the area after nothing more happened.

Compiled by Tyler Peterson