More than 200 graduate from School of Medicine

By Shawn Mansell

More than 200 U medical students took a step toward their careers Saturday as they graduated from the U in the Medical School’s commencement ceremony.

In the keynote address, John D. Day, a respected area cardiologist, called the graduation “one of the most significant milestones of your life.”

“Just think,” Day said, “you have just graduated from the 20th grade.”

In his speech, titled “The Great Beyond,” Day gave the graduates four pieces of advice: Have a plan, be a team player, maintain charity and humanity and leave a legacy.

“Seldom is there a great author who has not at least written an outline before beginning the book,” Day said, emphasizing the importance of preparation. “You have to know the end before beginning.”

Day stressed teamwork, saying it would be imperative for graduates to rely on one another.

“You will be pushed to your limits physically, you will be scared to death as you care for critically ill patients,” he said. “You will find it increasingly necessary to rely on others if you are to continue to enjoy the success you have come to expect.”

Day explained that charity could sometimes be a challenge for medical professionals because of intense workloads and schedule demands, but he added, “How many professions are there that provide a comfortable living for helping other people?”

He summed up his recommendations as he encouraged graduates to leave an impression-not through their personal achievements, but through assisting others.

“Perhaps the most important legacy is not found in your own individual accomplishments,” he said. “It may simply be the role that you play in helping others achieve their full potential.”

Dr. David Bjorkman, dean of the School of Medicine, also spoke to the class of 2005 about some of the differences between the school’s inaugural class and this year’s graduates.

Bjorkman said the school’s older classes would likely be “astonished by the demanding and varied programs that challenge today’s students.”

“You are better-trained for your chosen professions than any who have gone before you,” Bjorkman said.

He joked that the 14 students from the medical program’s first two-year class also had less environmental challenges on campus as they never encountered parking problems.

The school’s commencement ceremony celebrated the academic success of 94 doctors of medicine, 56 master’s degrees, 21 doctorate degrees and 13 bachelor’s degrees.

The new doctors recited the Oath of Hippocrates, and vowed to “maintain the utmost respect for human life.”