Summer injuries drain blood supply

By Dustin Gardiner

Summer often means a decrease in blood donations and an increase in the number of trauma victims in need of blood.

This year is no different, and the trend is creating a problem for local hospitals and blood banks.

“Traditionally, the number of donations goes down and the usage goes up,” said Rebecca Servoss of ARUP Laboratories, University Hospital’s sole blood provider.

The demand for blood generally increases in the summer because people travel more and are involved in a greater number of risky outdoor activities such as boating, biking and rock climbing, Servoss said.

An increase in risky activities brings with it an increase in injuries, and thus an increase in the number of trauma victims treated at the U Hospital. Janet Cortez, a Trauma Program Manager at the U Hospital, said there is a 10 percent increase in the number of trauma victims seen in the summer as compared to the winter.

There is also a direct increase in the amount of blood needed for trauma patients. However, blood donation is typically low during the summer.

“People get busy in the summer and they don’t think about blood donation when we actually need more blood,” said Cortez.

She added that it is extremely important for the U Hospital to have an adequate blood supply because of its position as one of the top trauma centers in the intermountain west. The U Hospital regularly receives patients from other states.

ARUP hosts several large blood drives over the summer to compensate for the seasonal shortage, including “Culinary Meets Capillary”-a competition held in June between downtown restaurants to raise the most blood-and “Bleed Red,” a yearly blood drive competition held between the U students and students from Utah State. Last year the “Bleed Red” drive brought in more than 700 units of blood in only one week. This year’s drive will take place Aug. 29-Sept. 2.

Servoss said that both drives make a difference, but they are not enough to satisfy the summer demand.

“The demand is constant…Just last weekend (July 2-3) we were very concerned about the amount of O negative blood so we released a call to the public,” said Servoss.

If an emergency should occur in which a certain type of blood is running low, ARUP will call upon the public to bring in that particular type of blood.

Cortez said the summer blood shortage has not yet prevented the treatment of any patients but such a situation remains a constant concern.

“We always need more blood,” Cortez said.