Union offers Family Day carnival for student parents

By Esther Merono

The Union played host to a swarm of children and student parents Saturday, giving them a chance to get involved in a family-friendly affair on the U campus.

Family Day, an event that follows Redfest every year and is organized by the Union Programming Council, was held in the Union Plaza for U students with families.

UPC, which also organizes Crimson Nights, hoped to attract the family crowd, which is not usually present at late-night, less kid-friendly events such as Redfest.

“Student parents pay fees, too, and they should be able to get involved,” said Mindy Childester, director of arts and special events for UPC.

Family Day resembled a small carnival with its maze of inflatable slides, trampolines and an obstacle course.

Booths offered carnival-like games.

Animal attractions included a pony, sheep and rabbit, and the Tracy Aviary presented a bird show.

“We spent almost all day here, petting the animals and jumping on the inflatables,” said Teresa Rodriguez, the mother of two boys and wife of Sergio Rodriguez, a graduate student in geology.

UPC also provided a professional storyteller and face painting.

Peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches, lemonade, cotton candy and snow cones were served as refreshments.

Polina Belova, wife of Konstantin Belova, a research associate in the physics department, said, “We come here every year. The kids really enjoy it.”

Esther Merono