New club faces raging waters

By Tandra Steiner

Formed just months ago, the Kayak and Whitewater Club is looking to form a fleet.

Micah Jeppsen, physics junior and the club’s president, said that the club aims “to promote enthusiasm for the sport of kayaking, while also providing an environment for kayakers to meet, network, and thus further enjoy the sport.”

The club can assist kayakers by providing equipment and access to the rivers, Jeppsen said.

As the club gets underway, its founders are focusing on two main areas: recruitment and funds for the purchase of new equipment.

Last week, Jeppsen and Vice President Smith Monson, a senior in Spanish, spent time on campus speaking with students to create hype and awareness.

“Student reaction has been pretty positive, there are a lot of people who want to try kayaking and gain a better knowledge of the land and rivers around them,” Jeppsen said.

The club currently has six members. Monson and Jensen hope to see the club reach between 20 and 40 members in time for the 2006 season.

A season usually begins early spring and runs through late fall.

Membership is open to men and women of all ages, and “any and all experience levels are encouraged to join,” Jeppsen said.

He and other members of the club will be available to help train and teach the fundamentals of kayaking to anyone interested.

Starting in October, members can also take advantage of bi-weekly roll sessions at the U’s pool. Roll sessions teach inexperienced kayakers how to “roll” back around if their kayaks flip underwater.

Funding for new equipment is another goal for the club, the accomplishment of which is currently underway.

“As of right now, (members) must supply their own equipment, but we are currently going through the process with the ASUU (General) Assembly to buy new equipment for new members to use until they decide whether they enjoy the sport enough to supply their own,” Jeppsen said.

A legislative bill has already been approved by the Special Projects Committee and is on its way to the Assembly.

The Outdoor Recreational Center also gives members the option of renting. For $16, a member can rent a full package: helmet, boat, paddles, skirt and life jacket.

More information on the Kayak and Whitewater Club and how to get involved is available through ASUU’s Web site, www.asuu.utah.edu. Micah Jeppsen can also be reached at [email protected].