U offers new graduate certificate in genetic counseling

In order to meet an increasing demand for genetic counselors, the U started a graduate program in genetic counseling this semester.

“A genetic counselor explains the risks of genetic testing and other programs to patients,” said Candace Meldrum, a graduate student in the U genetic counseling program. “People need to be educated about their options when it comes to genetic disorders and treatments.”

The two-year, full-time master’s degree program is multidisciplinary and represents collaboration among several departments, including human genetics, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics and the Huntsman Cancer Institute. The program will prepare students to practice genetic research and provide reliable counseling to those at risk.

Genetic counselors are also responsible for providing information and support to families that have members with birth defects or genetic disorders.

“This program is a big step forward for the university and meets a very important need for the future,” Bonnie Baty, the program director, said.

Counselors implement training from both medical and counseling fields to identify families at risk. They analyze inheritance patterns and risk of recurrence to help families review available options.

Students enter the genetic counseling program from a variety of disciplines. Originally a microbiology major, Meldrum said she became interested in the program because of its balanced approach to patient care.

“It combines science and genetics as well as a form of teaching and counseling that I really enjoy,” Meldrum said.

Counselors also provide supportive counseling to families and serve as patient advocates, helping to educate them about the genetic testing process.

Based in the School of Medicine, the program is fully accredited by the American Board of Genetic Counseling, and courses are specifically tailored to genetic counseling requirements.

Students will undergo coursework, clinical rotations, community placements and an independent research project to prepare them to take the ABGC certification exam.

The U is home to one of the top genetic research programs in the country, and that experience is a benefit to the genetic counseling program. Several members of the program faculty have achieved national and international recognition in the field of genetics.

Classes for the master’s program began in August and applications for next Fall Semester are due Jan. 15. For additional information on the program or applications, visit geneticcounseling.genetics.utah.edu.