Who’s the best in the Mountain West?

By Matt Patton and Mathew Piper

Rams are the team to beat – Matt Patton

Much can be said about the accomplishments TCU has already achieved-an early victory over Oklahoma and wins against Utah, BYU, New Mexico and Wyoming. But TCU hasn’t had to face Colorado State.

As much as I hated watching it, the way the Rams held the Utes from scoring when they had their backs against the end zone for three straight plays was very telling of what kind of program they have in Fort Collins.

After suffering a disappointing loss at Colorado and getting thumped by Minnesota, Colorado State has been on the fast track with three-straight victories, and it is now the only undefeated Mountain West team, other than TCU.

The Rams’ next four games are against the elite of the MWC, including away games at BYU, New Mexico and TCU, so those games will really determine how good they are.

They have a lot of offensive weapons, and in the game against Utah, they proved that their defense is actually pretty good when it needs to be.

Running back Kyle Bell has been consistently sensational. Over the past three games, he has rushed for 520 yards, averaging 173 yards per game.

Bell has rushed for more yards than Reggie Bush, and his overall average of 120 yards per game is 10th in the country.

Quarterback Justin Holland isn’t too bad either. He is No. 14 in the nation in passing efficiency, with a 154.3 rating. He has thrown seven interceptions in five games, but he makes the big plays when they’re needed.

Aiding Holland in his success is receiver David Anderson, who averages 94 yards per game and has scored four times.

The Rams are starting to look pretty good, and I think their motivational win over Utah should be enough to carry them through the rest of the MWC pack.

TCU has it locked up like Gotti – Mathew Piper

Barring a Texas/United States civil war, the Horned Frogs will roll to the conference title in their inaugural season as members of the Mountain West.

No. 25 TCU leads the nation in fumble recoveries, interceptions and (surprise) turnover margin, and it’s made crucial big plays all season to pull out a string of close victories.

Whether it’s a schizoid shootout (51-50 over BYU) or a sluggish struggle (17-10 over Oklahoma), quarterback Tye Gunn and the Horned Frog offense have shown it can be counted on to provide just enough O for its playmaking defense to take over.

Junior bruiser Robert Merril and freshman speedster Aaron Brown have combined for 798 yards as opponents have struggled to adjust to TCU’s versatile ground attack. When they need to take to the air, dependable wide receiver Cory Rodgers provides a solid target. The junior had caught a pass in 29 consecutive games before last week’s contest. There’s not a whole lot else there, but there doesn’t need to be.

After wins over BYU, Utah and Wyoming, TCU will probably just have to win three out of its four remaining conference games. Two are on the road, but Air Force and San Diego State are relative chumps, while the Frogs have home-field advantage against UNLV and, most importantly, Colorado State.

With a more prolific offense and a savvy veteran coach, the Rams have won three-straight games for the first time since halfway through the 2003 season and present the most legitimate threat to TCU. They also boast a tough running game and senior quarterback Justin Holland is a vast upgrade over Gunn. Unfortunately for them, though, pretty stats mean nothing in the chase for the MWC title.

Don’t get me wrong-Sonny Lubick might even have a better overall team on his hands than Gary Patterson, but since the Horned Frogs have already beaten Wyoming, the Rams are the only realistic remaining challenger. And that’s a very tentative reality.

Barring a miracle from Wyoming, BYU or Utah, the formula for CSU is to win five of its six remaining conference games, including the trip to Fort Worth on Nov. 5.

What are the odds of that happening?

Think lottery, lightning and large leaping leprechauns.