U goes global

By Esther Merono

All new and transfer students at the U in Fall Semester 2007 will have a new baccalaureate requirement to graduate.

The administration is encouraging faculty to submit proposals for new courses that would fulfill the International Course Requirement, which is becoming mandatory.

There are many existing courses that may qualify, but departments are considering which topics will bring an international perspective to their subject. Proposals must include a detailed syllabus and a letter of support from the department chairman or chairwoman.

The International Requirement Committee, made up of faculty members representing a broad range of colleges, will soon review proposals, pilot courses and create the course list, which will be completed next spring.

Approved in spring 2005, the International Course Requirement will integrate a wide-ranging knowledge of global issues and perspectives into student curriculums.

“Students have much to gain from adding the internationalization to the university curriculum,” said Johanna Watzinger-Tharp, chairwoman of the International Requirement Committee and associate dean of undergraduate studies.

“What academic discipline today isn’t international?” she added.

Although the requirement will not affect current U students unless they have not graduated by 2013, some students feel that the requirement is a waste of time and money.

“It seems like it’s just another course to add to the list of requirements,” said Shelby Morris, an undecided freshman.

Other students say a required international credit is a positive addition to the course load.

“It’s helpful to know what’s going on around the world, and chances are your career will be influenced by international affairs,” said Cindy Bithell, a sophomore in civil engineering.

“I think that it’s important to be educated in the different international perspectives. How else can we understand each other as human beings and make rational decisions?” said Rebecca Solberg, a freshman in exercise and sports science.

The international requirement, like the Diversity Requirement, will allow students to choose from a list of upper division courses that meet the criteria in a variety of areas of study.

Some courses may even concurrently fulfill other bachelor’s and general education requirements (except diversity), and 3000 level language courses and some study abroad programs will also take care of the new “IR” credit.