The gift of a smile

By Esther Merono

Operation Smile Student Association is a group that loves to make people smile.

An international organization, Operation Smile raises money for correctional operations for children born with facial deformities in the United States and developing countries.

The U chapter, which works under the Utah state chapter, has four main focuses: fund raising for the international organization, raising awareness about the group and its goals, monthly service projects and supporting local high-school chapters.

“Operation Smile is a fun opportunity to get inside the community and participate,” said Teddy Nicholls, a junior in exercise physiology and fund-raiser chairman.

The group currently is requesting that members send letters asking for donations to Operation Smile. The goal of each member is to raise at least $240-the cost of one operation.

“It doesn’t take a lot to change someone’s life,” said Naresh Kumar, a senior in anthropology.

As part of a statewide effort called “Go the Distance,” the U chapter raised more than $4,000 in last year’s project. Combined with money raised by students from around the state, the total came to $125,000-the largest amount of money raised by any Operation Smile student association in history.

Knowing you’re helping children around the world is an incredible feeling, said OSSA President Megan Morris, a junior in biomedical engineering and math.

Being part of a larger organization, no matter what you do you to get involved gives you the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself, she said.

Those who wish to become even more active in Operation Smile have the opportunity to attend a leadership conference in the summer to make them eligible to attend Medical Mission training.

After training, students have the chance to travel with the doctors who volunteer their time to perform surgeries around the world.

Some U members have gone as far as China and the Philippines to help.

“(Operation Smile) touches a lot of people’s lives, giving them opportunities they may not have,” Kumar said. “This is a very rewarding organization to be part of.”

The group is now choosing officers for next year and encourages anyone who would like to join or become an officer to attend the meetings.

“This is a good way to get involved on campus and develop service and leadership skills,” said vice president Kimmi Neeley, a senior in medical laboratory science.

For more information on the U chapter of Operation Smile, email [email protected]. For information on the international organization, visit www.operationsmile.org.