Tuning in to future careers

By Ana Breton

Kirt Woolley, a senior in communication, drove four hours Tuesday hoping to land a job.

Woolley, who is enrolled at Southern Utah University, attended the Utah Broadcasters Association Job Fair and is seeking a part-time job in Salt Lake City even though he lives in Cedar City.

“SUU has standard job fairs,” Woolley said, “The U is the one of the only schools to offer fairs specifically for broadcasting jobs.”

The UBA Job Fair, which was held in the Union Ballroom, brought together more than 60 radio and television stations.

Pat Roden, vice president of human resources at KSL 5 Television, said that many students who have attended job fairs in the past have eventually been hired for full-time jobs.

“Even if you don’t get an entry-level job, getting your name out there is important for future opportunities,” Roden said.

A lot of students know what classes to take in their field, but not how to get a job after they are done taking them, said Andy Teerlink, assignment editor at KTVX 4.

“The more you know about a job, the more likely (it is that) you will land it,” Teerlink said. “Meeting a representative face to face builds up your chances of getting a job as well.”

Most representatives agreed that the earlier a student gets a foot in the door, the easier it will be to jump-start his or her career.

There are several full-time jobs waiting to be filled by Spanish-speaking students in broadcasting, said Phillip Johnson, marketing consultant at Bustos Media, which consists of several Spanish radio and television stations.

“The Hispanic market is the fastest-growing market segment in Utah,” Johnson said, “There are countless opportunities where students can get involved.”