Presenter’s Office got it right

By Emily Merola

For shame, Morgan Ratcliffe, for shame. Your article (“Presenter’s Office spendthrifts still manage student fees,” Aug. 24) was not only an attack on the former Presenter’s Office members, but also its continuous members-who I assure you are working hard to combat the monthly assaults on the part of you and your fellow journalists. I don’t know why such an attack would surprise me. In the four years I was a student at the U, it seemed to be The Chronicle’s job to mudsling, slander and vilify any office within the Associated Students of the University of Utah administration.

Now as for the things said in your articles, there is truth to the fact that we overspent our budget. Do you have any idea how much big-name bands are asking for? How about the cost of a certain former general to come and speak? Let’s just say that there was a private helicopter asked for on that one. I assure everyone, it’s not cheap. It’s true that the Presenter’s Office wanted to “go big” with The Grand Kerfuffle, and why shouldn’t we? The Presenter’s Office as well as the rest of ASUU worked long days and sometimes nights to bring high-caliber events to the U. Forget about the fact that we had midterms and finals to worry about. Forget that most of the members within the office had second jobs because the ‘stipend’ we received at the end of the semester despite hundreds of hours put forth wasn’t enough to cover even one month’s rent. Over the three days of the festival, we all logged in 60 hours or so and became a mass of zombies, being there before the sun arose and well after the sun had set with little sleep. With the help of some fabulous volunteers, we ran the bands to and fro, took tickets, handled entry problems, hospitality, media, the fencing, dismantled the stage, trash pickup, etc. Though you wish to make it sound as though putting on a festival is a cakewalk, I personally testify that it is a whole lot of work, and yes, there certainly were unexpected costs.

As for the job The Chronicle’s staff claims was “egregiously botched,” I recall the Grand Kerfuffle being one huge success. I agree with Kyle Hansen’s sentiment as well-assuredly as the rest of the Presenter’s Office, past and present, about the Kerfuffle being one of the best events at the U in a while. As for the dinner your staff is so concerned with, it was excessive. I won’t say that it wasn’t, but it was well-deserved. The Presenter’s Office works hard, and this was one of the few perks we received, so why not “go big”? It’s what we were known for, right? Long hours and few perks, pay equivalent to charity-I still hold that the Presenter’s Office was one of the best jobs I held while in college. I hear the office is bringing Flogging Molly and the Ataris for Redfest in September. I may be 1,200 miles away, but I know those concerts will rock despite costing $9.

Emily Merola

Graduate and Former Associate Director

Presenter’s Office 2005-2006

Emily Merola

Graduate and Former Associate Director

Presenter’s Office 2005-2006