Letter: ASUU execs are doing fantastic

May I just congratulate Jake Kirkham and Toby Collett on doing an amazing job this year? This past week The Chronicle has been focusing on unfulfilled campaign promises, but how about we take just a second to look at the ones they have fulfilled.

1. Giving money back to the students: Jake and Toby gave much more than the percentage required by Redbook to the Finance Board and the Associated Students of the University of Utah Assembly-both organizations that give funding to student groups.

2. Creating the Rock the U dance competition: This has taken an amazing amount of work, and for being a new event, they have done an awesome job with advertising and organization. It will take years to build this competition to the level of the University of Pennsylvania or the University of Texas in Dallas, but they have gotten it off to a great start. So what if they had to lower the amount they wanted to raise? It is still money going to help a great cause!

3. Lobbying for the Student Life Center: Ingrid Price has dedicated the last year of her life to working with legislators to try and get this passed. We should recognize this hard work and appreciate all that she has done on our behalf.

4. Reinstating the Non-Traditional Students Board: Why have we not heard anything about this? The Non-Traditional Students Board has been working hard this year providing programming and activities to the married and returning students. Did you know that about 40 percent of the U’s population is married? Jake and Toby’s idea that the Non-Trad Board needed to separate from the Diversity Board was right, and they have well-served a large population of students by doing so.

I admire Jake Kirkham and Toby Collett’s willingness to even try, because no matter how hard they work it seems that they are damned if they do and damned if they don’t. All those students who are complaining that Jake and Toby have not done enough for the U, I would like to ask them what have they done lately to serve the U population?

Until you are working hard to provide programming, new scholarships and various opportunities for a diverse group of students, then how about you stop whining about the people who are trying?

Cara Winegar OwenSenior, Political ScienceASUU Chair, Appropriations