KUTE Radio’s Pick o’ the Week

By KUTE

Ted Leo and the PharmacistsLiving with the LivingTouch and Go RecordsFour out of five stars

Ted Leo has become a household name in the homes of indie-rockers. Being involved with many great projects such as Chisel, The Spinanes and The Secret Stars has allowed his fame to grow from humble beginnings to what it is now.

Five years on Lookout! Records has only made Leo’s name more ubiquitous in the scene. The most remarkable thing, however, is how easily he slips into his different skins so fluidly.

Listening to some of the earlier Chisel and Animal Crackers albums is profoundly different when juxtaposed with his current effort, Living with the Living, released last month. And what’s really amazing-and what marks a truly talented artist-is consistency.

Few musicians can claim that most everything they’ve worked on is both critically and popularly acclaimed.

With Leo, it’s true.

The Tyranny of Distance, Leo’s first solo effort, is hailed as a true indie-pop gem. Every record after that has received similar rave reviews, and this newest effort is no exception, the only difference being the home of the band.

Moving from Lookout! Records to Touch and Go Records doesn’t change the sound of the band, and perhaps only embellishes and makes it better. The opening track, “C.I.A.,” is a clear example of the rest of the record you’re about to experience, consolidating the experience Leo has perfected over all his past releases. Other excellent tracks include “The World Stops Turning,” with its driving rhythms and punk underpinnings, and “Bomb. Repeat. Bomb,” an obvious critique of the current state of the world and the United States’ involvement in it.

If you’ve enjoyed previous albums from this band or sounds from Apples in Stereo, Spoon and The New Pornographers, you’ll love this album. The band is coming to In The Venue on April 21.