Big first impression

By Jason Peterson

When Robbie Findley arrived in Salt Lake City on Thursday in a trade for veteran midfielder Chris Klein, the rookie had some big shoes to fill.

But after Findley’s debut performance on Saturday against D.C. United, some fans might be asking, “Chris who?”

Findley scored two breakaway goals in the 41st and 50th minutes to give RSL a commanding 2-0 lead that would prove enough for its first victory of the season.

The two-goal feat was even more impressive considering RSL coach Jason Kreis gave his new striker the green light to play just moments before the game.

“We were very concerned he wouldn’t be able to start for us tonight,” said Kreis. “It was a good thing (he played), and a good thing for us.”

Speculation began to mount once the team learned of an ankle injury that cut short Findley’s first practice with the team on Friday. Some questioned whether the L.A. Galaxy, Findley’s former club, knew of the injury before Thursday’s exchange.

But any conspiracy theories were put to rest. Findley proved he could play, and then some.

While Findley’s first goal displayed his speed as he blew by D.C. defender Bobby Boswell and safely tucked the ball in the bottom left corner, it was his second goal that showed his ability to play off of his teammates.

RSL forward Alecko Eskandarian took a short pass from Findley at midfield and returned the ball for a nifty give-and-go. Findley calmly set himself up for the shot and blew it by D.C. United keeper Jay Nolly for his fourth goal of the season.

“I thought he and Alecko (had) one of the best combinations I’ve seen in a long time,” Kreis said. “For two people to have that kind of understanding in their first game together bode very well for us.”

Coming to Salt Lake City from L.A., Findley knew the team hadn’t won a game all season. Nevertheless, he was excited to join a team that competes the way Real Salt Lake does.

“The game last week, when I was with L.A., they battled to the end,” Findley said. “They showed me they had a lot of heart. We deserved to win this game.”

As for the notion of filling Klein’s shoes, Findley brushed it off the same way he brushed aside those pesky defenders.

“I don’t let that get to me at all,” he said. “I just told myself I’m going to keep working hard in practices and in games and it’ll pay off.”

Findley’s chance at a hat trick ended in the 72nd minute when head coach Jason Kreis pulled him from the game. But Findley left to a standing ovation, as he had just given fans something they had longed to see all season long.

After the game, Findley stood near his locker gathering his belongings as calmly as he collected his two goals on the night. Once the media entered the locker room, many of Findley’s new teammates immediately pointed in the 21-year-old’s direction. Shortly afterward he was surrounded by a swarm of microphones and questions.

Welcome to Salt Lake City, Robbie Findley.

#post_author_author, .post_author_avatar, .post_author_box{ display: none; }