ASUU scholarship site nixed

By Arthur Raymond

A long-time notion to create a centralized website for U scholarship information was laid to rest in a meeting in May attended by representatives from the financial aid department, senior administration and the U student government.

In spite of this decision, the Associated Students of the University of Utah and individual departments said they are continuing to work to make students aware of available scholarship funds to offset the cost of a college education.

Angela Wimmer, U scholarship manager, said it was concluded at the May meeting that due to the sheer number and varieties of scholarship opportunities and varying application processes that go with them, creating a single, scholarship-centered website presented “difficulties that were insurmountable.”

She noted that extensive research had been done in exploration of the idea, including seeking a workable model from other institutions.

ASUU Vice President Basim Motiwala said he and Spencer Pearson, ASUU president, recognized the same challenge in centralizing information when the topic of scholarship marketing came up as a student concern in their campaign this spring.

Motiwala said ASUU has made a commitment to working with the development and financial aid offices in getting the word out to students about available monies.

ASUU will include scholarship notices on its website, as well as updated information in a newsletter that will be available in a new “tabling” effort.

Motiwala said that ASUU is working on two new scholarship opportunities for students through the Olpin Club, a group composed of current and former ASUU office holders.

Last year, the U office of financial aid administered nearly $25 million in need and non-need based scholarship funds.

Many funds are available directly from schools and departments on campus.

Janet Hough, academic program support specialist in the English department, said it awarded almost $6,000 in scholarships this semester, in addition to seven tuition-waiver awards.

Hough said her department makes students aware of scholarship opportunities by posting on the department website, including notices in the department newsletter and making class announcements by faculty directly to students.

Further information on scholarship opportunities can be found online at http://www.sa.utah.edu/finance/.