AFC East preview

By Jon Gilbert

New England Patriots (12-4)

Bill Belichick will be Bill Belichick. Tom Brady will be Tom Brady. But will Randy Moss be Randy Moss or?Randy Moss? The potential upside of Moss is a big-play wide receiver to stretch defenses. The potential downside of Moss is that he becomes a terrific distraction that unravels the team. Neither will happen. Brady has a bunch of new buddies to toss the pigskin to and Lawrence Maroney will have a super sophomore campaign. Adalius Thomas’s skills help bolster an aging linebacker core. New England could be back to championship form.

Biggest addition: LB Adalius Thomas

Biggest loss: SS Rodney Harrison

Circle your calendar: Nov. 4 @ Indianapolis Colts

New York Jets (11-5)

The Jets managed 10 wins in 2006 without a serious running threat Chad Pennington proved his worth while starting his first full season since joining the league seven years ago. Now Pennington has a legitimate rushing duo behind him to carry the load. Thomas Jones will smash defenses and Leon Washington will gash them while he aids the passing game. Jonathan Vilma is a young star at linebacker for a defense that must improve on its middle-of-the-pack performance last season. Justin Miller is always a threat for six in the return game. Eric Mangini will challenge mentor Bill Belichick for dominance in the AFC East.

Biggest addition: RB Thomas Jones

Biggest loss: RB Curtis Martin

Circle your calendar: Dec. 16 @ New England Patriots

Miami Dolphins (7-9)

It’s a new day in Miami as the Cam Cameron era begins. Trent Green gives the Dolphins one solid quarterback compared to the 30 shaky quarterbacks they had last year. Green should return wideout Chris Chambers to freak status and Ronnie Brown will continue to grow as an under-appreciated running back. Jason Taylor and Zach Thomas get help from newcomer Joey Porter in a “bend, but don’t break” defense that finished 24th in the league in yards per game but 10th in scoring. Rookie kick returner/wideout Ted Ginn hopes to pull his best Devin Hester in 2007.

Biggest addition: QB Trent Green

Biggest loss: WR/RS Wes Walker

Circle your calendar: Oct. 28 vs. New York Giants

Buffalo Bills (4-12)

The Bills have question marks almost everywhere you look. QB J.P. Losman threw for fewer than 200 yards nine times in 2006 and 14 picks. Willis McGahee skipped town for better things leaving a void that rookie Marshawn Lynch can only partially fill in his first year. Lee Evans needs help at wide receiver where defenses can key on him alone. The defense–which finished seventh in the league in scoring–lost its two brightest stars in London Fletcher and Nate Clements. Second-year coach Dick Jauron has his work cut out for him after losing his three best players.

Biggest addition: RB Marshawn Lynch

Biggest loss: RB Willis McGahee

Circle your calendar: Oct. 8 vs. Dallas