Richards makes the difference over Aggies

By Jon Gilbert

Utah wide receiver Derrek Richards takes the slogan “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas” seriously.

In a frustrating 27-0 loss last week to UNLV, Utah just couldn’t get anything to click. Offense, defense and even special teams all faltered.

Richards took his turn in the mistake-marred game. The senior muffed a punt in the first quarter that led to a UNLV field goal. He finished the day with two punt returns for negative two yards.

But the speedy Richards rebounded this week. He exploded against Utah State on Saturday, giving Utah the lead in the second quarter with a 75-yard punt return for a touchdown.

“I wanted to come out and show I can do some things in punt returns,” Richards said. “(A fumble) is a downer. You don’t know if the coaches still have trust in you. I just wanted to…get the offense good field position.”

Richards did that and more. Punt returns of 14 yards and 33 yards put Utah near midfield twice in the first quarter before Richards’ third return went the distance.

“As I was running, I just saw guys flying everywhere, and guys were making blocks,” Richards said of his touchdown.

Head coach Kyle Whittingham appreciated the boost Richards provided for Utah’s offense.

“Special teams was a big plus for us,” Whittingham said. “Our special teams had a great deal to do with our point production.”

Quarterback Brian Johnson enjoyed running the offense with a short field. In his first start since the Utes’ season-opening loss to Oregon State, Johnson was put at ease by the head starts Richards provided.

“(Richards) did a nice job,” Johnson said. “Right before he scored on the one-punt return, he was on the sideline saying ‘Watch me take this one to the house,’ and lo and behold, he took it back.”

What may have been surprising to some is that Richards ended up being the return specialist that had the biggest impact on the game. Utah State boasts the talented wideout Kevin Robinson who scorched San Jose State last week for an 82-yard kickoff return touchdown.

Robinson is averaging over 22 yards per punt return and over 27 yards per kick return so far this season. The Utes shut down the playmaker nearly the entire game. Robinson did burst for a 44-yard punt return in the fourth quarter.

The play developed when Utah’s gunner on the play, R.J. Stanford, ran past Robinson thinking that a fair catch had been called. With Stanford running past, Robinson was able to break free for a big play.

In the end, Richards was the more explosive difference maker on Saturday.

“I was getting a lot of time to react before guys were coming in my face,” Richards said.

The punt return for a touchdown was a rare sight for Utah fans. The last time Utah scored on a punt return was in 2000, when Steve Smith navigated his way through California’s coverage team.

Richards’ play propelled more than just the offense. The whole team fed off the excitement and productivity of his returns.

“It just helps the momentum with the fans and gets the offense going,” Richards said.

Tyler Cobb

Derrek Richards returns a punt 75 yards for a touchdown in Saturday’s win against Utah State.