The University of Utah's Independent Student Voice

The Daily Utah Chronicle

The University of Utah's Independent Student Voice

The Daily Utah Chronicle

The University of Utah's Independent Student Voice

The Daily Utah Chronicle

Write for Us
Want your voice to be heard? Submit a letter to the editor, send us an op-ed pitch or check out our open positions for the chance to be published by the Daily Utah Chronicle.
Print Issues

New IT certificate classes created

By Tayler Covington

Starting next spring, the Technology Education Program at the U will begin offering Information Technology certificate classes.

The new non-credit classes can be used toward degrees in computer science, engineering, communications or other technical fields.

Before these classes were introduced at the U, students received IT certification after graduation from Salt Lake Community College or an out-of-state provider. Program creators hope the new classes will attract current students who want to pursue IT certificates, as well as recruit high school students who are looking for an IT education.

Inita Lyon, technology education director for the continuing education program at the U, said the classes are a convenient way for students to receive certificates while they are enrolled in school.

“You’re already working on your degree, you’re going to need (the certificates) when you get out in the real world anyway, why don’t we give you college credit to do that?” Lyon said. “The University of Utah is being responsive to students’ needs in the world that our graduates are going to be facing once they’re out.”

Class sizes are limited. The CCNA and Linux courses are limited to 16 seats and the Apple course is limited to 10 seats. Jeremy Robb, a professor who teaches the Apple course, says class sizes are small because of their hands-on nature.

“The classes are about 75 percent lab work and the remaining 25 percent is lecture,” Robb said.

Students in the classes will be graded on participation because there is no homework, though there is a certification exam at the end of the semester.

Goals for the new certification program include installing a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer course, which is based on Windows and additional certifications within each area, such as Cisco Certified Network Professional and Cisco Certified Design Associate.

“The program is going to expand. This is just the beginning,” Lyon said.

Class registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis through the Campus Information System. Registration started Nov. 1.

For more information, including in-depth class descriptions and instructions on how to register for the classes, visit the Continuing Education website at or call 801-581-6061.

[email protected]

Leave a Comment

Comments (0)

We welcome feedback and dialogue from our community. However, when necessary, The Daily Utah Chronicle reserves the right to remove user comments. Posts may be removed for any of the following reasons: • Comments on a post that do not relate to the subject matter of the story • The use of obscene, threatening, defamatory, or harassing language • Comments advocating illegal activity • Posts violating copyrights or trademarks • Advertisement or promotion of commercial products, services, entities, or individuals • Duplicative comments by the same user. In the case of identical comments only the first submission will be posted. Users who habitually post comments or content that must be removed can be blocked from the comment section.
All The Daily Utah Chronicle Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *