Utes ready for “lightning and thunder”

By Jon Gilbert

Utah has a double-dose of trouble heading its way in Saturday’s showdown with the Wyoming Cowboys at Rice-Eccles Stadium.

Wyoming boasts Devin Moore and Wynel Seldon, two talented running backs who have provided the Cowboys with a “lightning and thunder” element for their offense.

Moore provides the lightning by bouncing plays to the perimeter and slashing through defenses. Seldon, nearly 30 pounds heavier than Moore, brings the thunder when he totes the ball and runs over defenders.

“They’re a little bit different in their styles,” said Utah defensive coordinator Gary Andersen. “(Seldon) is a downhill runner, and (Moore) can hurt you on the outside.”

The two have combined for more than 1,300 yards rushing and nine touchdowns this year.

“It’s something we addressed at the first of the week,” Andersen said. “Their biggest deal starts with their offensive line.”

That it does. Wyoming is averaging 157 yards rushing per contest in 2007, overpowering opposing defensive lines and controlling the line of scrimmage.

Andersen said that the Utes didn’t change anything in their game plan to prepare for the Cowboys’ running game. History shows that Utah has a system that handles two-headed running games well.

Utah shut down UCLA’s two-back system of Kahlil Bell and Chris Markey to the tune of 91 yards earlier this season. Two weeks ago, in Utah’s most recent game, Gartrell Johnson and Kyle Bell faired better for Colorado State by gaining 142 yards but did not reach the end zone.

“It’s more of a challenge,” Utah defensive tackle Gabe Long said of playing a run-heavy team. “I’m real happy with (playing against) the run.”

Long has been a big part of Utah’s success in defending the run since it gave up at least 100 yards rushing in four of its first five games. The Utes have battled back to improve a once-porous run defense. In its last four games, Utah has given up fewer than 80 yards per game.

However, shutting down Moore and Seldon doesn’t necessarily mean that Utah is free and clear for victory. Wyoming plays stout defense and has proven it can find a way to win late with fourth quarter comeback victories against Ohio and UNLV.

“Regardless, if we shut down their running game, it’s going to be a good game,” Long said.

Both Moore and Seldon find ways to hurt defense without carrying the ball out of the backfield. Moore often lines up as a wide receiver and has caught 20 passes for an average of more than 7 yards per reception. Seldon has also grabbed 16 passes.

No matter if it’s by ground or air, Wyoming’s attack will not be an easy assault. Utah is ready to play tough and is hungry for revenge.

“The intensity is higher for this game,” Long said. “We want to pay them back for last season.”

Lennie Mahler

Utah’s defense must step up the attack versus Wyoming as it did against Pac-10 patsy UCLA.