Olympic gymnast to join Red Rocks

By Jon Gilbert

The deal is almost sealed. Former Canadian Olympic gymnast Gael Mackie is weeks away from joining the U’s gymnastics team.

Mackie decided to graduate high school early to attend college rather than continue international competition.

“I am 99.9 percent sure she is coming,” head coach Greg Marsden said.

There is one step yet to complete. Mackie and the Red Rocks are waiting for Mackie’s high school diploma to be awarded by the Ministry of Education and sent to the NCAA for approval.

The Ministry of Education represents an additional step to graduating high school in Canada that is not present in the United States. Canadian graduates must be approved by the government in the form of the Ministry, rather than by high schools, as is the case in America.

“We’re hoping that (her transcripts are approved) at the end of this week, next week at the latest,” Marsden said.

As soon as the NCAA announces Mackie’s eligibility, then “it’s just a matter of her getting a plane flight and being here,” Marsden said.

Mackie is already registered for classes next semester and has a room reserved at the Residence Halls. She expects to arrive in Utah by Dec. 26.

A lot of factors contributed to Mackie’s decision to come to the U.

“It was a combination of good coaching and team, gymnastics tradition and academics,” Mackie said.

Mackie hopes to add to that tradition beginning with the Red Rocks’ opening meet, she said. The U squares off with defending national champion Georgia on Jan. 9 at the Huntsman Center. Mackie hopes to compete as an all-around gymnast, she said.

“That will depend on (coach Marsden).” she said.

Marsden has onlyseen tape of Mackie’s performance, so she isn’t sure in which events she will compete.

Mackie must also deal with a transition from high school and training in her local gym to the college life, a heavy course load and training in a new place. She visited Utah in March and again in November, so she feels fairly familiar with the area, she said.

“I like challenging myself, and I’ve always wanted to go to college,” Mackie said.

A long trip from home will be familiar to Mackie. She has traveled often for the Canadian gymnastics team, including a summer-long trip to the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, Greece.

Notes:

Great start to the week: Marsden was pleased with the Red Rocks’ training on Monday, telling the team he couldn’t remember a better Monday practice in five years.

“Mondays are usually a struggle,” he said. “For whatever reason, they came in on fire.”

Marsden expected practice to be sluggish, because the athletes are preparing for finals next week, and some have final projects due this week.

Break time: Next week-which is finals week-will serve as a break for the Red Rocks. Marsden requires no workouts during the week to ensure the gymnasts perform well on their exams. The Dumke Gymnastics Center will be open for the athletes if they find time to workout, but Marsden wants them to “make the right decision” between studying and training, he said.

“We try to do a lot of things to encourage and motivate (the gymnasts) to appreciate why they’re really here,” Marsden said.

Lennie Mahler

U gymnastics coach Greg Marsden will be adding former Canadian Olympic gymnast Gael Mackie.