Gymnastics: Red Rocks get rare breather late in season

By Jon Gilbert

Things just keep falling into place for the U gymnastics team. Through the first half of the season, Utah spent much of its time answering questions of depth and demonstrating team spirit that was seldom witnessed in 2007.

Now the team has a rare week off from competition, and they couldn’t have picked a better week.

Utah is two-thirds of the way through its schedule with the critical last third on its way. The Utes will welcome No. 10 Oregon State to the Huntsman Center on March 7 before visiting No. 3 Florida and No. 4 Michigan. The two road meets will be important tests, and they will be the last chance for Utah to face premier competition before heading to regionals. The U regular season ends on March 28 with a home meet against BYU.

“In one way, (the break) comes at a good time because we are a little beat up,” Utah head coach Greg Marsden said.

The last three weeks have tested Utah’s reserve.

Three weeks ago, Stephanie Neff and Jacquelyn Johnson were out indefinitely because of leg injuries. Two weeks ago, Nina Kim suffered a foot fracture warming up for Utah’s meet against Washington. Kyn\dal Robarts sat out against UCLA last weekend after experiencing some pain in her knee on Saturday. Medical tests show that Robarts has a mild MCL sprain, Marsden said.

The week off will help Kim and Robarts get healthy. Kim performed in the balance beam against UCLA and should be at full strength against Oregon State. Robarts is likewise expected to be back. She said team trainers told her to take it easy for a couple of days and progress slowly back to full routines.

Neff is working her way back into shape. Last week, she practiced a full bars routine sans a dismount. Marsden is encouraged because she no longer walks with a limp. The sophomore had a scare on Monday when she was in a hit-and-run car accident. A car struck her vehicle on campus and then sped off. She injured her shoulder slightly but felt fine Tuesday.

Johnson will likely not compete this season because of her injury.

“I think (the break) will be good for everyone just for little aches and pains that they have,” Ashley Postell said.

The gymnasts are not the only ones who need a breather. The Dumke Gymnastics Center experienced flooding in the southeast corner this weekend, damaging some mats. The mishap shouldn’t affect training this week, but the mats might need to be replaced down the road because of mold.

Marsden plans to ease up training a little this week. After two meets in one weekend, he feels his team needs to get some rest. However, he doesn’t want to jeopardize the team’s rhythm.

“I don’t want them to lose their focus,” Marsden said.