House prohibits open carry on campus

By Rochelle McConkie

Lawmakers in the Utah House of Representatives decided to keep guns hidden on college campuses, although concealed weapons permit holders may open carry firearms throughout the state.

The House passed House Bill 473, which clarifies current gun laws, on Monday with a vote of 60 to 11, but amended the bill so permit holders would have to keep guns concealed on university campuses, either under clothes or in a purse, handbag or briefcase. The Senate must vote on the bill before the session ends Wednesday night or the bill will die.

Rep. Steve Urquhart, R-St. George, said he sponsored the amendment at the request of state institutions of higher education, including the U.

Kim Wirthlin, the U’s vice president for government relations, said allowing open carry would create an environment of fear on campus and would make it difficult for the U to recruit and retain faculty, staff and students.

“In higher education, we want to be sure our schools are safe,” Wirthlin said. “The impression of safety is as important as the actuality of safety.”

Both Rep. Kory Holdaway, R-Taylorsville, and Rep. Roz McGee, D-Salt Lake City, said they spoke with U faculty members who said the bill would make them or other faculty members want to leave the university if open carry were allowed on campus.

“I had an interesting conversation with a distinguished college professor who said to me, ‘What are you guys doing, going to let students carry guns into my class as a sidearm? If that happens, I’m leaving the state, and I’m not the only one,'” Holdaway recounted an unnamed professor saying.

McGee, who represents the area surrounding the U, said more than 60 percent of her voters are either U students, faculty or alumni. She said she received a phone call from a U dean whose college recruits faculty members for the Utah Science Technology and Research Initiative, which was created to stimulate jobs and the state economy. The dean expressed concerns about faculty leaving if open carry is allowed on campus.

“I think everyone understands the importance of economic development and a highly educated work force to be the wheels on which economic development moves forward, but (this dean) said he knows faculty members who would leave the U to accept positions out of state if the very worst form of this legislation passes,” McGee said.

The bill’s sponsor, Rep. Curt Oda, R-Clearfield, opposed the amendment and said the argument of faculty leaving does not make sense because permit holders are still able to bring firearms on campus as long as they are concealed.

“Why haven’t the professors left yet?” he said. “It kind of befuddles me. If they fear the law-abiding citizen, I say, you know, bye.”

Students and employees with concealed weapons have been allowed to carry firearms on campus since the fall of 2006 when the Utah Supreme Court struck down the U’s former gun ban.

Because of recent incidences of campus violence, there would be a tremendous amount of fear surrounding the appearance of weapons, Wirthlin said. Oda said recent examples of campus violence happened on gun-free campuses and linked the violence to the emotional or mental states of the shooters, not guns.

“We have no idea what could have or would have happened if someone had been there to settle them down or stop them, but we know with absolute certainty what happens when there’s not,” Oda said.

But as school violence becomes more frequent, many U students said shootings at Virginia Tech, Northern Illinois University and the Trolley Square Mall in Salt Lake City make them feel nervous at the idea of classmates or faculty having guns.

“I think it’s a little more scary,” said Danielle Haga, a junior in elementary education. “I know very few crazy people actually pull a gun on campus, but there’s the thought. If they have a gun, who knows what might happen.”

Jen Williams, a junior in elementary education, said she would feel more comfortable if only police officers and security guards were allowed to carry guns.

Rep. David Litvack, D-Salt Lake City, said Urquhart’s amendment didn’t reach far enough, and guns shouldn’t be allowed in places such as shopping malls. He tried to make a substitute amendment that would require all loaded weapons to be concealed in the state, but the revision failed.

“What about the safety and fear this is going to generate in the public?” Litvack said. “There isn’t always going to be security around.”

Student Body President Spencer Pearson, who led student lobbying efforts against the bill, said it’s not necessary to have guns on campus because they are a distraction to the academic process, which would limit learning. He said allowing open carry on campus would put Utah in a bad light.

“There are only a few states with the right to conceal carry, so we’re already singled out,” Pearson said. “This would just be taking the next step.”

Rep. Steve Sandstrom, R-Orem, said Urquhart’s amendment would be limiting Utahns’ Second Amendment rights.

“This is a direct attempt to bring gun control to the state of Utah with this amendment,” he said.

Some students said they feel that no matter what gun laws are made, people will still find ways to bring guns on campus.

“I don’t feel safer just because they’re hiding it, but it doesn’t make me feel unsafe,” said Trevor Thomas, a junior in mechanical engineering. “I just choose not to live in fear.”