Students working to revive KUTE

By Edgar Zuniga Jr.

A handful of students are actively involved in resurrecting KUTE, the U’s student-run radio station.

Students tabled Wednesday outside the Union to create interest and have students sign a petition to fund KUTE. The student committee plans to conduct surveys in the next couple of days to gauge and generate interest in the student-run radio station. Students also discussed the possibility of tabling at events specifically for incoming freshmen to generate interest early on.

A student committee met Tuesday afternoon to review the station’s vision, budget and plan to obtain at least $4,500 from the Associated Students of the University of Utah to relaunch programming. During the meeting, students went through items on an outline, discussing topics such as a new website and logo, future programming and ways to generate funds. Students also toured KUTE’s facilities in the Union to become familiar with the station’s equipment and location.

“I’m involved with (KUTE) because I love local and national radio, and everyone participating here has this vision and knows there’s so much potential,” said Jamis Johnson, a sophomore in computer science. “We want more people to know about KUTE — all my friends I’ve talked to have never heard about KUTE — it’ll be very fun.”

The students present at the meeting reiterated their interest in the student-run station and have recently written a manifesto and vision statement.

Jake Fawson, KUTE assistant general manager, told the student committee that as of last week, KUTE is back on the air transmitting campus-wide on 1620 AM. KUTE is also continuing to broadcast on Channel 66 on the university’s cable TV system.

“(Student-run radio) is an opportunity for students to get involved on campus,” said Keith Yowell, a senior in mass communication. “It’s an important establishment because it gives students a way to convey their ideas and be creative.”

Students plan to meet during the weekend to finalize arguments and proposals that they will present before ASUU and the Student Broadcasting Council.

KUTE has been in dire straits since ASUU pulled its funding in 2006. ASUU decided the funding, which could reach as much as $15,000 per year, was not warranted based on the low number of listeners KUTE has. KUTE needs to pay more than $4,000 to the Recording Industry Association of America in royalty fees to stream content online.

Students will present their vision for KUTE before the Student Broadcasting Council on Wednesday at 3 p.m. in LNCO 2120.

For more information about KUTE contact Fawson at [email protected].