Summer getaways: Wyoming has more than just cowtipping

By Jason Peterson

If most of us planned ahead the same way we study for tests in school, then it’s likely that few of us would have anything scheduled this summer.

School’s out in a week, folks. It’s time to stop procrastinating something as important as our summer vacation.

Allow me to suggest an idea — Wyoming. OK, clear the orange juice you just spit all over the newspaper and hear me out.

In years past, I’ve never had a single reason to travel northeast of Utah other than to buy illegal fireworks that manage to set aglow a different house in the neighborhood every year.

That all changed when I visited Jackson Hole one summer. Sure, the place is a little touristy — even tacky — but there’s no denying the charm of the small-town streets and shops.

Situated to the south of the Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, Jackson is a nature lover’s paradise, so take a break from the inversion-infested air in Salt Lake City.

Just a short drive from the town will have you fishing out of scenic Jackson Lake or getting addicted to the whitewater rapids of the Snake River, which is best in July.

Whitewater rafting isn’t for the faint of heart, but the adventurous sort will thoroughly get a kick out of being hurled from the raft into waves big enough to surf on. And people do that, too.

Just 12 miles to the northwest of Jackson is Teton Village. Better known for its skiing, the villa and the nearby Rendezvous Mountain provide for great mountain biking, hiking and sightseeing in the summer. Those hoping to summit the more-than-10,000-foot Rendezvous peak without the labor can take one of two Aerial Tram cars to the top for some incredible views of the Jackson Hole valley.

Jackson isn’t just a mountain man’s haven, however. The town offers a surprising number of posh hotels and cabins for lodging and fine dining. The Atrium Restaurant, The Alpenrose and the popular Silver Dollar Grill, although pricey, are a few of the best.

If you’re not terribly familiar with the area, try looking into guided tours and activities. It’s a great way to see the best sides of southwest Wyoming without having to do all the nitpicky planning.

The Teton Village Adventure Guide Service provides horseback riding, hiking, rock climbing, paragliding, fishing and biking — something for everyone.

Of course, most people travelling through Jackson are headed to Yellowstone, certainly a great destination in itself. But the Jackson Hole Mountain Festival in September, which features some of the country’s top musical talents, and the Teton County Fair in late July are two more of the many worthy reasons to spend a night or two in Jackson this summer.