Utes bring back Gresh to help mesh with players

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

Chris Gresh found so much success at Utah, that he’s decided to stay despite finishing his four years.

If a player has a solid performance during his four years at the U, then why leave?

Gresh, a former U golfer, decided that he didn’t want to leave the program quite yet.

The Ute’s golf team hired the now-professional golfer as their new assistant coach. Gresh was one of the more consistent golfers for the U during the past four years and will be a key addition to the coaching staff.

“(It) is going to be great for our program,” head coach Randall McCracken said. “We are lucky to finally be able to hire a full-time assistant coach.”

Having a full-time assistant in a golf program is a tool that McCracken is pleased to have. Changes in collegiate golf have allowed two coaches to recruit off campus as well as coach during tournaments. The old rule wouldn’t allow two coaches to recruit and coach their team at the same time. With the addition of Gresh, the Utes can look forward to more help with their young team.

“I’m looking forward to working with this young and talented team,” Gresh said. “I am excited about building for the future.”

Over his career with the Ute golf team, Gresh established himself as a key player behind Dustin Pimm. After Pimm decided to turn pro, the U looked to Gresh to be the leader of the team. He didn’t have the best season after Pimm left8212;his best finish was a tie for 12th at the Wyoming Cowboy Classic. His best season was during his junior year in which he finished in the Top 25 four times in 10 tournaments.

Prior to his career at the U, Gresh played high school golf for Cottonwood High. With his great play, the team won three regional championships and in his senior season, earned first team all state honors. His consistency carried over to a solid career with the Utes.

Gresh is currently an assistant golf pro at River Oaks Golf Course in Sandy and also plays in pro tournaments around Utah. He is planning on graduating from the U with a degree in sports management.