The Edge: Utah Utes vs. Oregon State Beavers

Quarterback

Does the nod go to the kid on the 2-2 team that just bested No. 1 USC? As head coach Kyle Whittingham says so often, “You’re only as good as your last performance.” Well, Brian Johnson’s last performance was stellar, but it was against Weber State, not the Trojans. Beaver quarterback Lyle Moevao went 18-for-28 for 167 yards and two touchdowns in last Thursday’s monumental upset in Corvallis, Ore., a certain perfect complement to his now famed running back. Moevao has less yardage thrown than Johnson and a lower rating, but to follow in the words of the Ute maestro, I guess you truly are only as good as your last performance, and Moevao went down in the record books. As for Johnson, most are still waiting for him to play up to his stellar abilities, especially in this must-win game.
Edge: Even

Running back

Two hundred thirty-five plus 219 equals 4548212;8212;pounds, that is. Utah’s Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack’s combined weight is more than two and a half times that of the Beaver energizer Jacquizz Rodgers, who stands at 180 pounds. He also stands at 5 feet 6 inches tall and obliterated the noted Trojan defense. Anyone see USC linebacker Ray Maualuga last Thursday night? Exactly. Rodgers went “Sweetness” for 186 yards on 37 carries. The true freshman didn’t even start the season-opening loss at Stanford. Fairly intriguing, isn’t it? In the second week of the season, the Beavers were spanked by Penn State, but certainly found themselves a true back. As for Asiata and Mack, the two currently stand at 320 and 319 yards respectively. Asiata picked up two more touchdowns Saturday, upping his season total to six, while Mack has three. Whittingham’s favorite idiom is portrayed here again.
Edge: Oregon State

Wide receiver

Will Utah’s wideouts show up to all of their own, specific big-play capabilities? Ute fans can only hope so. The likes of Bradon Godfrey, Freddie Brown and Brent Casteel must be at their best against a talented Beaver secondary who bothered USC’s Mark Sanchez all night. Brian Johnson’s new favorite red zone target, tight end Colt Sampson, has caught three touchdowns this season, the most of any Ute so far. Youngsters and speedsters David Reed and Jereme Brooks will be seen doing something special. Wink wink. Ditto for Aiona Key. Will offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig surprise the Beaver defense by unleashing the freakishly-athletic Key? Oregon State’s trio of Shane Morales, Sammie Stroughter and Jacquizz’s older brother, James, are all electric wideouts that will trouble the Utah secondary.
Edge: Utah

Offensive line

One win, zero sacks, and all without their co-offensive captain, left guard Robert Conley. Still, the Utes have 12 sacks on the year, and are preparing to face an Oregon State defensive line that pestered Mark Sanchez for four quarters. While Conley will most likely be back in time for Thursday’s game, the Utah offensive line needs a solid performance more than ever so far this season. On the flip side of things, the Beaver offensive line is coming off a near-perfect performance last week. The zone-blocking Beaver line is one of the best in the conference and features all new players this season. The taller, stronger linemen help shadow the miniscule Rodgers away from converging defenders.
Edge: Oregon State

Defensive line

Where were the Tasmanian Devils on Saturday? Paul Kruger and Koa Misi were not heard of all that much against Weber State. While Wildcat quarterback Cameron Higgins danced around defenders, defensive tackle Greg Newman made sure to do what he’s supposed to and wrapped up on almost every tackle. This will be a key against Oregon State, especially for the magic show that the Beaver offensive line does by concealing the tiny Rodgers. Kruger and Misi must be able to snag Rodgers when he bounces their way and be looking to put Moevao on the ground a couple times, letting him know that they’re there and ready.
Edge: Even

Linebackers

So who will spy on the “The Quizz Show” all night? It certainly has to be Stevenson Sylvester. While he is the most talented and versatile of the linebacking corps, the task at hand was one the likes of then No. 1 USC couldn’t even handle. Will Sly and his compatriots8212;Mike Wright and Nai Fotu8212;be prepared to smoke out Rodgers from his cabin of gigantic offensive linemen? Sylvester and Wright are No. 3 and 4 on the team in tackles and will be prepared and ready to plug the Beaver holes all night. Oregon State’s Keaton Kristick is the heart and soul of the Beaver linebackers, currently second on the team in tackles with 25, including five for tackles for a loss.
Edge: Utah

Secondary

It certainly was no façade when the much-praised Ute secondary was picked on last weekend by Weber State. Granted, much of it came by backup secondary, but at times in the first half, there seemed to be confusion within the back-four. So, going up against the likes of Morales, Stroughter and James Rodgers will be Utah’s biggest test to date. Essentially, no one has thrown toward Sean Smith this season, and Brice McCain has been coming around and starting to shut down folks on the opposite side. The safety trio of Joe Dale, Robert Johnson and Terrell Cole are strong, athletic, and most importantly, versatile. When mentioning the Beaver secondary, one name pops into every opposing offense’s mind8212;Greg Laybourn. The senior safety, who leads the team in tackles (36) and interceptions (2), also has a recovered fumble.
Edge: Utah

Special teams

Louie Sakoda is now the all-time scoring leader at Utah, with good reason too8212;45 field goals and all those extra points later and he could even be a better punter than he is a kicker to boot. Any way you look at it, he is a key cog to the Utes’ special teams attack and will be called on to bail out the offense in both cases. David Reed is waiting to find that one hole in the kickoff to bust the game wide open, but has yet to make it that far. Cole has done a reasonable job returning punts and will look to avoid turnovers and provide the offense with decent starting position. James Rodgers is a potent kickoff return man and Stroughter has the potential to take it to the house any game, something the Utes should surely look out for. Don’t worry about punter Johnny Hekker or kicker Justin Kahut, neither match up to Sakoda.
Edge: Even

Coaching

Utah lost 24-7 last year in Corvallis, Ore., not to mention Johnson for a number of games and Asiata for the season. Whittingham’s team is 5-0 and as deep and talented as the 2004 team. Mike Riley’s bunch is 2-2 and coming off a historic upset.
Something’s gotta give, right?
Edge: Even