Utes to face offensive engine in Gartrell Johnson

By Tony Pizza, Sports Editor

They’ve already faced a tank in Frank Summers, a quiz show in Jacquizz Rodgers, a three-headed monster in Air Force’s option attack and Rich Rodgriguez’s not-yet fluent spread offense at Michigan. But the Utes’ defense might be facing its biggest ground threat yet this week in a man who plays for Colorado State and simply goes by the name Gartrell Johnson.

“He’s like the engine to their offense,” said Utah corner back Sean Smith. “Without him, the offense doesn’t move. Understanding that, we gotta go out there this week and stop the run.”

That has basically been the reoccurring theme of the Utah’s defense thus far, which is currently ranked No. 8 in the county. The Utes have allowed just 82.4 yards per game, including holding the No. 5 rushing team in the country8212;Air Force, who averages 292.50 on the ground this year8212;to just 53 total rushing yards at home.

With a back like Johnson on the other side of the field, don’t expect Utah to rest on their laurels.

“We’re just going to approach (Johnson) just like any other back,” said safety Joe Dale. “We gotta just wrap up well, and not let him get any yards after contact.”

Johnson, a 6-foot, 225-lb. tailback out of Miami, Fla., is bred from the same mold as many quality Mountain West Conference backs. He’s a big, upright runner who hits creases in the offensive line hard but also has the speed to cut it to the outside. While he’s not quite as big as some of the backs in the conference8212;BYU’s Harvey Unga is 6-foot, 239 lbs., UNLV’s Summers is 5-foot-10, 230 lbs., Utah’s Matt Asiata is 5-foot-11, 230 lbs. and the league-leader Rodney Ferguson is 6-foot, 234 lbs.8212;Johnson possesses similar strength, and a speed burst unlike most guys his size.

“Their tailback is one of the better in the league,” said Utah head coach Kyle Whittingham. “They’ve got some weapons on offense.”

Johnson saw most of his playing time in the first two years at fullback. Midway through the 2007 season, he converted to Colorado State’s primary tailback and nearly reached the 1,000-yard mark on 79.8 yards per game. This season he has upped that average 86.8 yards per game, including a 96 yard performance in the team’s season opener against Colorado and a breakout 191-yard, three-touchdown effort two weeks ago against UNLV.

The key for Colorado State is forcing teams to divert at least part of its defensive attention away from Johnson and keeping the game close early to keep their running game in play.

Despite running into a brick wall against the No. 1 overall defense in the country in TCU last week, Colorado State’s offense has shown promise lately.

Against UNLV, a team that previously upset then-No. 15 Arizona State on the road, the Rams were able to get Rashaun Greer going for 211 yards receiving on eight catches and the team’s primary receiver, Kory Sperry, another 62 yards on three catches to go along with Johnson’s career day.

With Colorado State featuring three wideouts who are averaging more than 50 yards per game receiving, Utah will have to continue its one-on-one coverage in the secondary and play its traditionally stifling gap coverage in the front box. Tackling Johnson low, and wrapping up is a primary concern for Utah’s front seven. The other focus is not getting in one another’s way when trying to bring Johnson down.

“We just have to rally to the ball and not have more than one guy tackling (Johnson) at once,” Dale said.

Last season, Utah held Colorado State to just three points in their own house. But Johnson had 95 yards on 17 carries, including a 44-yard scamper that set up the Rams only score of the game in the first quarter.