Practice now in full swing for Runnin? Utes

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

NBA guard Allen Iverson once said, “We’re talking about practice.”

That’s exactly what the Runnin’ Utes have been talking about since Friday, when they started their official team practices.

With the football season winding down to its final month, the realization that the Utes will begin their trek on what is arguably their toughest schedule to date is in full effect. Head coach Jim Boylen has set the bar high for his team, and now it’s time to see if it can step up.

In their fourth full practice Sunday, the Utes practiced with intensity in drills and scrimmages. They had just come off a two-a-day practice on Saturday, and fatigue had really set in. Boylen said this is something he wants his team to overcome, ultimately better preparing it for in-game situations. Putting in the effort at the early stages of full-team practice proves the Utes are ready to take on the beast of the 33-game season.

“It’s a hard practice,” said senior center Luke Nevill. “Coming off of back-to-back practices (Saturday) we’re looking strong. For the beginning of the season and the beginning of practice, we’re looking pretty well.”

At the end of each practice, the Utes set up a situation that focuses on a comeback from a deficit. On the defensive side of the ball, they focused on stopping a team with the lead when there’s not much time left on the clock8212;a drill designed to improve their fortitude coming down the stretch, which is something they struggled with last season. In their Sunday practice, the tentative starting lineup came back from seven points down with three minutes left on the clock.

“We need to get better at learning how to win, and I think that starts in practice,” Boylen said. “Identifying what to do in certain situations is what we’re going to do a lot more of this year.”

Depth is another thing Boylen discussed after the team’s practice. This year’s team has a horde of talent, making practices more competitive. Similar to the football team having a great scout team, the Runnin’ Utes have players who can come off the bench and compete with the starters.

The talk about Utah’s schedule has come up again and again, but that’s because it’s such a tough schedule. Boylen and athletic director Chris Hill worked hard on drawing big name schools into playing against the Utes this year8212;for the fans and to test the team.

“It’s a big time schedule,” said senior guard Lawrence Borha. “It gives us a chance to get in the top 25, so you know, I’m excited.”

Boylen harped on the fact that in college, with this schedule, every game counts. In his days coaching at the professional level, winning every single game was the goal, but wasn’t necessary. At this level, a two-game losing streak is equivalent to a five-game losing streak at the pro level, meaning the Utes can’t get ahead of themselves with the big name schools.

Anna Kartashova

Basketball coach Jim Boylen addresses the crowd at Rice-Eccles Stadium during the football game against Oregon State. Boylen?s team has started to practice for their tough upcoming season.