Prof urges restoration over new construction

By Lonzo Liggins, Staff Writer

When it comes to recycling, U architecture professor Robert Young has a bigger and better idea than aluminum cans and newspapers8212;recycling buildings.

In his latest book, Historic Preservation Technology, Young discusses the negative effects of extracting new resources to build large buildings and new developments. Restoring historic buildings and investing in older developments will save materials and energy, provide economic advantages and preserve natural areas untouched by developers.

“We’re coming to a time with limited resources,” Young said. “Corporations are looking more closely at building costs because of the condition of our current economy.”

When growth begins in a city, developers compensate by acquiring untouched land and building new developments. This causes additional air pollution, shrinks the availability of food and shelter for animals and increases the use of energy resources.

“The extraction-depletion approach used for the past four centuries has encouraged the pursuit of short-term gains of expanding the built environment,” Young said. “The unfortunate result has been the long-term degradation of the natural environment.”

Revitalizing inner cities and rehabilitating parts of cities and towns that are dilapidated creates a viable option for developers. When developers construct a new building of equal size, used materials and discarded debris are more than seven times that of the materials used for the restoration of an existing building. The challenge, however, is transforming the American desire for modern amenities.

“America’s long been based on the concept that anything new is better,” Young said.

Kurt Nielson of Red Rock Construction said cost is a reason contractors tear down buildings rather than restore the old ones.

“You can’t see what’s behind a wall until you open it up,” Nielson said. “By then you’ve done so much damage the building can’t be repaired.”

Contractors often view the idea of restoration as an expensive alternative to new construction.

“You can do anything for $100 a square foot, but restoring an older building will run you about $500 a square foot,” Nielson said. “The bottom line is you have to take it to the ground.”

Developers are aware of the damage new construction causes to our environment but feel bound by costs.

“Some older wood constructions are no good, you have to come in with additional professionals to explain the process of upgrading the older wood with newer materials,” Nielson said.

Young’s book could help educate developers about these differences by dispelling common myths perceived by the public and developers who are uncertain about historic preservation.