Scrimmage helps Utes

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

After two organized scrimmages, the Runnin’ Utes have the looks of becoming an elite team in the Mountain West Conference. Although the season hasn’t started yet, they have the right tools to compete at a high level this season with experienced players, depth and talent. Their No. 4 MWC preseason ranking doesn’t mean much to this squad, and it is just that8212;a preseason ranking.

Rather than playing an exhibition against a Division III or junior college team this season, head coach Jim Boylen felt that dividing the team in half and having the younger guys play the older guys would be the best thing for the Utes.

“I don’t want to be disrespectful to a Division III or AA (Division II) or anything,” Boylen said. “I didn’t feel that this was a year where beating someone by 35 points helped us get better in the preseason.”

Having everybody play a full game, rather than just the starters and the few guys who come off the bench, will benefit the team more in the long run. It also gives Boylen a chance to see what his younger guys have to offer.

During their scrimmages, the Utes worked on designed plays and hustle on defense, which Boylen is still harping on everyday in practice. He said he really wants the team to be disciplined, which is starting to show. By having the teammates play one another in scrimmages, he can see what they need to work on in practice.

“In a game situation, it’s easier to see what’s not going on,” Boylen said. “What we need to do better at, what we need to tweak, parts of it are good and parts of it aren’t. It’s harder to see that in a practice situation.”

Boylen has stressed three main things in practice he feels his team should improve on: defense, rebounding and transition games. With these in-game situations and practices, the team can put its practice into real situations.

Luka Drca was out for the first scrimmage Oct. 23 because of an ankle injury. He’s back and brings a leadership to the court the team has been looking for. He iced his ankle after the scrimmage yesterday to be ready for the intense practice today.

The season is right around the corner and the scrimmages have really boosted the team’s morale and unity. They face Grand Valley State in an exhibition Nov. 8 at 7 p.m. in the Huntsman Center.

Christopher Kamrani

Head Coach Jim Boylen has organized two team scrimmages during the preseason in hopes that it will prepare his team better than playing another team they could easily defeat.