Red Rocks ready to go for new season

By Bryan Chouinard, Staff Writer

As the preseason comes to an end, the Red Rocks are firing on all cylinders.

You can feel the energy inside the Dumke Gymnastics Center as the beginning of the regular season starts right after of Winter Break.

“We’ve really had a great preseason,” said head coach Greg Marsden. “We’ve avoided any serious injuries, so no one has been out for an extended period of time, which really helps us.”

Aside from a slight ankle tweak for senior Kristina Baskett, the team is healthy, which is music to a head coach’s ears.

“Right now, we’re in pretty good shape,” Marsden said. “Everyone is healthy and progressing well. I feel like we’re where we need to be at this time of the year.”

The girls have been brushing up on their routines and with the Red Rocks Preview approaching, all the hard work is beginning to pay off.

“This is our third week working on routines,” Marsden said. “They’re getting more consistent and the routines are beginning to look easier for them.”

In order to raise the stakes a little bit and to simulate a bit of a high pressure situation, Marsden has had the team stop what they’re doing just about every two weeks to take turns performing routines in front of the whole squad.

“Every other Friday, we have a little inter-squad competition,” Marsden said. “Those have gone very well, especially the last couple.”

Marsden has watched as his team progressed in competition and as a group. With the core of the team returning from last year’s No. 2 squad, the girls have grown closer than even Marsden expected.

“Kristina and Nina (Kim) have done a great job at providing leadership and getting the team together,” Marsden said. “We have as much a feeling of camaraderie this year as we ever had. It was good last year, but I feel it’s even a little better this year.”

The only new addition to this year’s squad is the freshmen tandem of Cortni Beers and Stephanie McAllister, both of whom have shown promise in preseason training. Red Rock fans should get used to seeing a lot of the duo during the next four years as Marsden expects both to have an immediate impact at the season opener against UCLA.

“Slowly and surely, (Beers) has gotten in better shape and now, especially on bars and beam she will be ready to help us right from the beginning of the season,” he said.

“Stephanie came into the preseason in great shape,” Marsden said. “She will be ready for all four events. It’s just a matter of her confidence and consistency.”

While Marsden has been impressed with his freshmen, no one has shined this preseason like junior Jamie Deetscreek. She has put in the work during the off-season and it’s starting to pay off in the gym.

“(Deetscreek) has been a role player the last couple of years,” Marsden said. “She worked really hard this summer and has had a great preseason, I think she’s going to go from being a role player to even possibly being in the all-around for us.”

This week, the Red Rocks will look to put the finishing touches on their routines in time for the season preview, which will be held in the Huntsman Center on Friday.

Tyler Cobb

Nina Kim, along with the rest of the Red Rocks have been brushing up on their routines in preparation of the Red Rock Preview. The regular season will begin after the Winter break.