Huskies between Utah and Elite Eight

By Paige Fieldsted, Staff Writer

The Utah women’s volleyball team is heading into uncharted territory as it travels to Seattle to take on the No. 5 seed Washington Huskies in the Sweet 16 of the NCAA tournament.

With the exception of head coach Beth Launiere, none of the team or coaching staff has ever been in a match of this magnitude.

Despite having never played in the third round of the NCAA tournament, the Ute players are looking at the match as just another game.

“It’s just the second time in the program history we’ve been here and we’re trying to enjoy it, but at the same time we are going into every match thinking that we’re going to win that thing and play the second night,” said Launiere, who was named the Bison/AVCA West Region Coach of the Year.

Another first the Utes have to deal with in preparation for the match is facing former Ute Airial Salvo.

This will be the first time since Salvo left Utah after the 2006 season that any Ute players or coaches have come face-to-face with her.

Although the Utes know that Salvo will be on the other side of the net, they aren’t talking about it.

“Really, it is just about our side and playing on a team,” said Emillie Toone, who was recently named to the AVCA All-Region West team. “We’re just focusing on staying together and this team.”

Regardless of Salvo’s presence on the Huskies’ side, the Utes will have their work cut out for them if they hope to advance to the Elite Eight.

Washington’s biggest strength is its offense, as it has three team members averaging more than three kills a set.

“They have some very good outside hitters and they’re going to set both antennas and we will have to do a good job defending both antennas,” Launiere said.

Although Washington has averaged a .294 hitting percentage on the season, Utah’s tough defense has been able to hold opponents to an average .155 hitting percentage. Utah has a 26-0 record when hitting a higher percentage than its opponent.

The Utes, ranked No. 4 in the nation in blocking, have been good all season at forcing errors and keeping their opponents’ kill count low, as they hold opponents to an average of 12 kills per set, two fewer than the Huskies are earning.

As always, passing and serving will be two big focuses for the Utes come game time.

“Passing will be really important. If we can pass and have all our options open we will be able to keep them on their toes and move the ball around,” said senior Lori Baird, who joined teammate Toone on the AVCA All-Region West team.

Although Washington is the best team Utah has faced all season, the Utes are confident in their ability to make it past the Huskies and earn a spot in the Elite Eight.

“Every round is going to get tougher, but I like our team and the way we are playing right now,” Launiere said. “We expect to win every time we step on the court, but it’s all about our preparation and we will be ready.”

Lucas Isley

Lori Baird has been named to the AVCA All-Region West Team. This weekend the Utes will be facing their toughest opponent this year when they play Washington in the Sweet 16.