Tap-off program not catching on

By Isabella Bravo, Staff Writer

Many U students rode TRAX on the first day back to school, but some didn’t tap their Ed-Passes when getting on or off. Others were annoyed with the new “tap on, tap off” system.

On Jan. 1, the Utah Transit Authority kicked off its new electronic fare system that allows UTA to track commuting patterns and improve routes. Last semester, UTA issued passes outfitted with microchips to students. When cardholders tap their cards on the electronic readers stationed at TRAX and FrontRunner stops and on buses, the microchips relay the cardholders’ information. The only information held on the new Ed-Passes is the student’s enrollment status, the time of their tap on or off and the station of their departure or arrival, according to UTA officials.

Despite an advertising campaign, a Youtube video and morning efforts by UTA to inform students about tapping on and off, many students still did not know about the new system. On his way home, Cameron Holt, a junior in marketing, said he was not aware that the tap on, tap off system had begun.

Adam Steab, a sophomore in Japanese who takes UTA buses, TRAX and FrontRunner to and from Kaysville during the week, said a UTA volunteer helped him Monday morning, but otherwise he would not have known about the new electronic fare system.

While riding to the U on TRAX, Eric Jensen, a junior in exercise and physiology, said that he still needed to pick up his microchipped Ed-Pass.

After three times of not tapping off, UTA will deactivate a student’s Ed-Pass. The student will need to present the pass to the U-Card office in the Union or Commuter Services to have the pass reactivated.

“We’re not going to be heavily pursuing people who tap on or off. There’s leniency,” said UTA spokeswoman Carrie Bohnsack-Ware. “UTA is trying to find a happy medium. We’re not being overzealous by fining students.”

Other students said UTA has not made enough of an effort to tell students about the penalties for failing to tap on and off.

“I didn’t even know (about the penalties),” said Bob Redburn, a junior in architecture. “I think it’s a matter of miscommunication. They could tell you when you get your card.”

Some students think UTA needs to cut out part of the tapping process.

Dennise Nava, a sophomore in elementary education, started using the tap on, tap off system on the buses and TRAX at the beginning of January.

“(UTA) should just take tapping off away entirely,” she said. “Tapping on is OK. (With) tapping off there is no way. Some of the buses, you get off so fast. There is no time for it.”

Bohnsack-Ware said the tapping off is necessary for UTA to compile a comprehensive route.

“It’s about new habit forming,” Bohnsack-Ware said. “The service that we’ll be able to provide will be so much better with the information gathered from tapping on and off.”

Bohnsack-Ware told The Daily Utah Chronicle in December that UTA will treat these initial months as a learning experience for the public transportation provider as well and future adjustments are a possibility.

Erik Daenitz

Manjusha Dixit uses UTA’s new, “tap on, tap off,” electronic fare system at the stadium Trax stop Tuesday evening. Riders have found the new system confusing and inconvenient.