Obama could help higher ed

By Jamie Bowen, Staff Writer

When President Barack Obama was sworn in Tuesday, it rang in an era of new policies and hope for change.

But administrators at the U are still wondering what the effects will be on higher education.

“We don’t know,” said Barb Snyder, vice president of student affairs. “(There will be) a more collaborative effort in this new administration, unlike the past.”

According to Obama’s Web site, he plans to make higher education more affordable for all Americans. Obama has offered to give a $4,000 tax credit to all students to pay for educational costs in exchange for community service.

“(Obama) understands that you need education in this world,” said Chuck Wight, associate vice president of academic affairs and a chemistry professor. “The 800-pound gorilla is the $1.2 trillion deficit.”

Wight commented that because of the deficit, he is less optimistic because it could prevent Obama from having the funds to complete what he has proposed in regards to higher education.

“Putting a federal investment in higher education is a long-term strategy,” he said. “What the economy needs now is a right-now type of boost.”

Paul Brinkman, associate vice president for budget and planning, and John Francis, associate vice president of undergraduate studies, both agree that Obama will affect three areas of higher education: student financial aid, support for research and health care coverage.

“My guess is that he will be active in all three areas8212;as a proponent of a vigorous federal student aid program, very supportive of research and willing to try to reform our country’s health care system,” Brinkman said.

Obama said throughout his campaign that he had helped students as a senator by maximizing financing for students to go to college through sources such as Pell Grants, which do not have to be repaid. Obama made promises to do the same in his presidency.

Obama has also set out to fund more research projects, especially in health care, which could affect the U’s medical program, Francis said.

“He will expand research in the health sciences,” Francis said. “That will be huge at a medical school.”

Through student financial aid like Pell Grants, funding more research projects and expanding health coverage, Obama will affect higher education in the long-term. But if Obama can stimulate the economy, that could affect higher education in the short-term as well, Brinkman said.

Tori Ballif, a senior in history, said Obama will affect the student population by increasing civic participation, citing higher student voter turnout.

“He has an enthusiasm in service and in giving back to the community,” she said. “It helps to see why you’re in school…the idea of hope and change.”

Randy Dryer, chairman of the U’s board of trustees, said Obama has demonstrated that he values higher education.

“He recognizes universities are the key to keeping the USA in as the leader in innovation and technology,” he said.

Dryer said that Obama will address affordability and access to higher education and that he supports affirmative action for diversity.

“Diversity at a university helps enrich your stay at a university,” Dryer said.