Police Briefs

By Michael McFall, Staff Writer

Patient caught with marijuana
When a man with a mental illness was admitted to the U Neuropsychiatric Institute on Wednesday, doctors discovered that he had marijuana, so they confiscated it and handed it over to police. The U Police Department said the patient will not be charged, because he is being treated for a mental disorder and they do not want to discourage the sick from seeking help.

Patient bites nurse
A 23-year-old male bit a nurse at University Hospital, according to a police report. He was brought in Monday afternoon for a possible drug overdose. The nurse attempted to treat him, but the patient became combative and bit the nurse’s forearm, according to a police report. The patient then spat saliva and blood at one of the security officers.

Because of the patient’s immediate need for medical attention, he was not arrested for the simple assault. The case will be screened by the court prosecutor’s office.

Domestic violence in Research Park
Moses Smith Jr. was picking up his girlfriend at Research Park after work Tuesday when he hit her and threatened to hurt her if she cheated on him, according to a police report.

He hit her a second time as the couple drove to their home in Sandy.
On the way, Smith stopped at a Wal-Mart on 9000 South and left the car to go in. His girlfriend called Sandy Police for assistance. Smith was booked for domestic violence.

Snowboarding down stairs
Four students packed the stairs of a Research Park building with snow Tuesday night, got out their boards and used the stairs as a slope. U Police were called and they told the students to leave the property.