The Word

The Appleseed Cast
Feb. 20, 7 P.M.
$10 (plus $2.75 service fee)
Kilby Court (741 S. Kilby Court)
Lawrence, Kan., is in the middle of nowhere, but in some regards, that’s a very good thing. The great Midwest has given birth to some of the most unique bands of all time. The Appleseed Cast fits that bill nicely and has for well over a decade. The band started out playing a more straightforward emo style8212;taking after Sunny Day Real Estate8212;but has since come into their own. The band’s newest album, Sagarmatha, released earlier this week, is more of a sprawling instrumental record with subtle guitar hooks and lots of brilliantly quiet moments. The epic and almost completely instrumental “As the Little Things Go” clocks in at just over eight minutes and never once becomes boring. Transferring these new songs, as well as a few old classics (most likely), to the intimate setting of Kilby Court will make for one of the more memorable shows in a long time.

School Boy Humor
Feb. 24, 7 P.M.
$10
SHO (Inside the Murray Theater on 4869 S. State Street)
If you thought pop-punk had run its course, you’d better think again. Although Fall Out Boy might be the reigning kings of the genre, there are numerous up-and-coming bands threatening to take the title from them. School Boy Humor, an eclectic quartet from Little Rock, Ark., is full of the same kind of big hooks and catchy melodies that made Fall Out Boy a radio staple, and the music scene is always looking for something new to replace the old. The band has been out on the road making a name for themselves for most of the year already, and they’re only going to continue their quest for that No. 1 spot. The band’s self-titled debut album will be released through indie-rock icon Vagrant Records on Tuesday, the same day they make a stop in Salt Lake City. Pick up the new record and get ready to sing along.

Cavedoll
Feb. 25, 10 P.M.
$5 (plus $2 service fee)
W Lounge (358 West Temple)
Local indie-pop act Cavedoll is poised to have a huge year in 2009. They recently played a showcase for the City Weekly Music Awards and have numerous shows booked around Utah, not to mention a stop in Austin, Texas, right around the South by Southwest music festival. The band’s brand of indie-pop causes an instant dance party anywhere they play and Kness Angulo is one of the most charismatic frontwomen working the local scene. The band brings so much energy to the stage that even in a bar setting with numerous distractions, the audience is forced to watch them the whole time. The dueling male-female vocals give Cavedoll a unique sound and the way the keyboard is able to accent the bass and guitar work without sounding like a gimmick is impressive. This will be one of the many shows the band plays in Salt Lake City this year, so make sure you catch them whenever you can8212;and don’t forget your dancing shoes.