Campus evacuated due to gas leak

By Associated Press

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) 8212; Most of the University of Utah campus was closed and evacuated on Tuesday after the rupture of a nearby natural gas line.

University spokesman Remi Barron said the leak at the south edge of campus happened around 2 p.m. Tuesday.

No injuries have been reported.

He estimates there were about 40,000 people on campus when the gas leak started. Most have left the campus. Essential personnel and staff of the University Hospital and Clinics remained Tuesday.

Questar Gas Co. spokesman Darren Shepherd says the leak in the six-inch plastic pipe was caused by a contractor that was using boring equipment and accidentally hit the line. Questar crews were not involved in the work that was being done, Shepherd said.

Nearby manhole covers were lifted to allow the gas, which found its way into the sewers, to escape, Shepherd said.

He said crews hoped to have the leak stopped later Tuesday afternoon.

All university classes, including evening classes, were canceled.

Salt Lake City Police Department spokeswoman Robin Synder said students at a daycare and two schools were moved to a nearby high school.

Richard Payson

Richard Payson

Richard Payson

Richard Payson

Richard Payson