Show to go on despite possible weather fiasco

By Trent Lowe, Staff Writer

As students anticipate the arrival of Lupe Fiasco and Girl Talk at today’s Grand Kerfuffle music festival, few will look past the lights to all that goes into putting on such an event.

The Presenter’s Office, a board within the Associated Students of the University of Utah, is not only responsible for booking the entertainers, but also coordinates details such as security, fencing and reserving the stage.

ASUU spent $50,000 just to bring the artists to the U8212;the artist fee was $40,000 for Lupe Fiasco and $10,000 for Girl Talk.

“There are many on- and off-campus organizations that we utilize to make sure that this event is as safe and entertaining as possible,” said Brian Burton, programming adviser for ASUU. “We contract with various organizations to provide their services.”

Tickets are available to all students for $5 and each student is able to buy only two discounted tickets. This year’s Kerfuffle is somewhat scaled-down from previous years, which have been multi-day events. In 2006, the event was three days long and featured the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yellowcard, The Von Bondies and Del tha Funkee Homosapien, and tickets were free to students. ASUU went more than $66,000 over budget for the event.

“The operating budget for the Presenter’s Office varies depending upon the enrollment at the U,” Burton said. “The year that ASUU did the three-day concert, we had a large rollover fund that was used. I feel that the current ticket price is fairly reasonable considering that at almost any other venue in the country, one would expect to pay between $25 and $35 per ticket. ASUU has offset the cost of tickets to U students and made tickets available for only $5.”

As of Tuesday morning, more than 3,000 tickets had been purchased by students and non-students, who have to pay $15.

“We’re ahead of where we were last year. We usually don’t sell 3,000 until the day of the concert,” said Amanda Mecham, director of the Presenter’s Office.

Doors will open at 6 p.m. and the event will continue despite forecasts of poor weather.

“We’re doing the best we can,” Burton said. “The stage is covered, there are heaters out there, so the show will happen.”