Student competes in Miss USA pageant

By Sarah Cutler, Staff Writer

Once Miss Utah, Laura Chukanov, reached the top 10 in the Miss USA pageant Sunday night, she knew she would be one of the final five contestants because of her dress.

Chukanov, a senior in international studies with double minors in art history and leadership at the U, finished third runner-up in the competition after an interview question, the swimsuit and evening wear contests, in which the Bulgaria native sported a yellow, crystal-covered gown.

“I was extremely proud of myself,” Chukanov said. “I thought I had won after I answered my question.”

The 22-year-old U student was still happy with the final results, culminating a monthlong road to the Miss USA title, and excited for the opportunity to participate in the competition in Las Vegas this year.

During her time at the U, Chukanov has volunteered as an orientation leader, peer mentor for Career Services, Rock the U dance marathon board chairwoman, chairwoman of the International Studies Student Advisory Committee and graduated from the International Leadership Academy, according to her Web site.

Chukanov has also volunteered on a Navajo reservation and traveled to Guatemala with Big Heart Humanitarian, a nonprofit organization, to help children receive an education.
The competition kept contestants busy taking classes on finance, business and ways to become more independent while preparing for the pageant.

“It’s been kind of crazy, but it hasn’t been too hard,” Chukanov said. “You have to work out every day, watch what you eat all the time, keep up on current events by watching and reading all the news and practice interviews.”

Chukanov, who is graduating in May and is only taking one class, a leadership capstone course, said she was able to do all the reading for her classes in her spare time while preparing for the pageant. She will be applying for graduate school in the fall, though she isn’t sure where or what she will focus her studies on other than eventually going into nonprofit work.

Sharon Aiken-Wisniewski, Chukanov’s professor, said the class has helped students as they “think about becoming leaders.”

“Laura is in one of those situations right now where she is exuding those leadership skills,” Aiken-Wisniewski said.

Despite the stereotype of the Miss USA competition as a beauty pageant, Chukanov said all the contestants are smart, independent women.

“I really encourage girls to try it,” Chukanov said. “It makes you be goal-oriented. It makes you aware of what is going on around you.”

On top of the education and skills attained in the competition are the friends she made, Chukanov said. The women who have motivated and inspired her to work hard and reach her goals are close friends.

“The women are incredible,” Chukanov said. “They have Ph.Ds, master’s (degrees) and have started nonprofit organizations. Being around people like that helps keep me motivated. It’s not just about having good hair. It’s empowering.”

To view photos from the competition or learn more about Chukanov’s experience competing, visit www.missutahusa.com.

Laura Chukanov finished third runner-up in the Miss USA pageant Sunday night.