Results of internship contest announced

By Krista Starker, Staff Writer

Jessica Batty not only won a contest for her internship, but she said she gained a great job.

Batty was one of nine winners of the U Work U Win contest held by U Career Services for her internship with ASSIST, a community design center in Salt Lake City where she works to make homes and buildings more accessible.

For the contest, students submitted entries of 300 words and a photograph into one of four categories about their internship or job: winning projects, places, people and perks. Entries were not limited to internships only, but to students gaining relevant work experience.

“I love my job,” said Batty, a senior in architecture. “I entered into the contest because we do a lot of great work and I thought it was valuable to share.”

Stan Inman, director of Career Services, said with the economy, now is a great time for students to take advantage of internship opportunities.

“Many of the internships turn into full-time jobs,” Inman said. “This is a positive thing for both students and businesses.”

The contest is the first for the U and is based off of the University of Cincinnati’s “100 cool co-ops contest,” said Melissa Kraft, employer relations coordinator for Career Services.

Entries were judged by representatives of the U and local businesses. Winners received a $100 gift certificate to various retailers and are featured on the Career Services Web site and will be in various ads throughout Fall Semester to encourage students to get involved in internships.

Liz Mimms, a career counselor, said she hopes that this contest and acknowledging those who win will encourage students to participate in internships.

“It allows for real-world practical experience and for students to be more,” Mimms said.
There will be an awards reception Thursday for the winners.