Utes pull 7-3 upset over No. 1 UC Irvine

By Marco Villano, Staff Writer

To beat the No. 1 team in the country, the Utes would have to play to their full potential. They came pretty close to doing just that Saturday.

Utah put together one of its best performances in the third and final game of a series with No. 1 UC Irvine, beating the Anteaters 7-3. Although the Utes could only pick up one win out of three games, it will be a big confidence boost heading into the final stretch of conference games.

“I think we have a lot better team than we’ve showed this season,” said outfielder Cooper Blanc. “It showed (Saturday). I’m excited to get these conference games out of the way and get going in the conference tournament.”

All the stars aligned for Utah on Saturday. Jordan Whatcott was a stud on the mound once again. The Utes’ offense got it done with 15 hits and the bullpen came in to hold UCI scoreless for the final two innings. Utah has been missing one of those three pieces in almost every game this season, but when it all comes together the Utes proved they can play with anyone.

The starting pitching has been the backbone of this team all season, and Whatcott is making a strong case as the Utes’ Friday-night guy next season. He was given the run support early, and put on a show, going seven innings with four strikeouts. Whatcott only gave up three runs on six hits, which has become the norm for the junior who picked up his third win this season.

“Whatcott’s a bulldog every time he gets on the mound,” Blanc said. “I love yelling for him and I just love the way he gets after it. He’s a competitor and just great for our team.”

Perhaps the biggest reason Whatcott had a good day on the bump is because of the run support his offense gave him, especially Blanc, who returned to the starting lineup. Blanc made his second start of the weekend, after being on the disabled list for most of the season with a torn hamstring.

Blanc made it known that he was back.

In the bottom of the second, with Austin Jones on base, Blanc jacked a two-run homer on the first pitch he saw, giving Utah a 3-0 lead. In the bottom of the fourth, he knocked Jones in again with an RBI single, extending the Utes’ lead to 4-1.

Needless to say, it’s nice having an offensive weapon like that back in the lineup.

“Cooper stepped up big,” Whatcott said. “He’s just getting back into playing time, he hit that two-run home run, then another RBI single, obviously he always plays stellar defense. It’s great to have him back and back in the lineup.”

Blanc was one of six players who finished with two hits against UCI, on a day when the Utes gave the Anteaters a taste of their own medicine. Utah played some small ball, advancing runners with bunts, slap shots up the middle and hits through the gaps.

“With the right guys, we have to do that,” said head coach Bill Kinneberg. “Balls weren’t going to carry real good today, so we try to take what’s given to us.”

It wouldn’t be complete without a strong effort from the bullpen. In the top of the eighth, Greg Krause relieved Whatcott. Krause gave up a hit and no runs in middle relief, before Stephen Streich came in to close it out. Although Streich didn’t technically get the save, it felt like it against UCI’s potent offense.

Utah will face Utah Valley in a midweek game tomorrow before heading back on the road to play Air Force for its third to last three-game series of the 2009 regular season Friday.

Erik Daenitz

Utah third baseman Nick Kuroczko gave the Utes a quick lead over No.1 UC Irvine on Saturday when he hit a solo home run in the first inning. The Utes went on to win the final game of the series 7-3.