Trustees reverse cuts for Century scholarship

By Katie Valentine, Staff Writer

Some incoming freshmen received a bit of shock when the Utah Board of Regents revealed that some scholarships weren’t at all what they seemed.

The New Century Scholarship, which the Utah State Legislature started in 1999, was made to provide students from Utah who earned an associate degree while still in high school up to 75 percent off tuition costs at any Utah public university. But recipients of the award were instead informed that only 40 percent of their tuition would be covered in 2010.

Basim Motiwala, a member of the Board of Regents, cited the economic downturn and more applicants than in past years as reason for the reduced funding to each student.

Mike Brey, a junior in political science and philosophy, was awarded the scholarship but found that he would need an extra $4,000 in loans to make up for what would have been covered8212;after deadlines for nearly all other scholarships had passed. Brey, along with other students from across Utah, lobbied to restore the funding.

The students tried their hand at social networking. Katie Tillou, a junior in marketing and English, set up a Facebook group to garner support, which reached more than 1,000 members. The work of the students didn’t go unnoticed, as the board restored full funding to all students Aug. 18.

“I’m really happy,” Tillou said. “I thought I was going to have to work during school.”
Students contacting their representatives and senators had an impact because higher education is valued by the Regents and the Utah government, Motiwala said.

“It went from angry and bitter to really positive that we had that experience to lobby and get funding back,” Brey said.

The future details of the scholarship will be discussed in the 2010 session of the state legislature, but, Motiwala said, it is unlikely the scholarship will be able to award as much as it has in the past. In the future, applicants will have to attend a scholarship orientation, which includes meeting with counselors to plan out their schedules.