U in the process of replacing missing letters

By Katie Valentine

Letters that were stolen from the U’s front marquee on University Street are one step closer to being replaced.

Some of the original letters from the marquee were stolen Aug. 6 during the night. The thieves still have not been caught and left the sign reading “Ivy of Utah, ounded in 1850.” The rest of the letters were taken down shortly after the theft.

All new letters had to be ordered because no one knew what font the original letters were.

The new letters are on their way and will be delivered to the U in two to three weeks, about two weeks later than Steve Davis, a facilities coordinator, estimated they would arrive. This week, a facility crew will remove the anchors from the old letters to prepare for the new letters.

The graduating class of 1958 paid for the original letters, said John Ashton, executive director of the Alumni Association.

A plaque might be put up to acknowledge the donation by the class of ’58, Ashton said. Although the U’s insurance covers the cost of replacing the letters and the anchors, the plaque would have to be paid for separately.

Davis could not be reached for comment.

Lennie Mahler

Letters were stolen Aug. 6 from the university?s marquee sign on University Street at Presidents Circle. The U will install replacement letters that will be more securely attached.